• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My workbench build! Sorry long and lots-a-pics.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeter_ca

Well, I have finished my work bench and I must say it turned out pretty darn good.

When I started looking at benches to build I knew I wanted something fairly large. It was going to be used to build my wooden amphibian, a Volmer VJ-22. The design of the plane does not require a very long bench to build the wings so I did not have to worry about having a super-duper long bench in my garage. I guessed that 4’x8’ would be a good size. I will be building some fairly large fuselage formers so a skinny table would not work well either. After some looking around on the web I found a post here on HomebuiltAirplanes forum, of course, by none other than our own “Jman“. The thread is called “Perfectly flat table designs”. On the thread it listed several different table designs by other people. After reading the entire thread I still liked the simple design listed on the very first post. I chose the design on the fact that it is simple to build and very sturdy. Jman said that he did not think it was very accurate but I beg to differ. My table, even after increasing the size almost four fold has only 1/16th inch in deviations over a 4‘ length. For my purpose that was very acceptable. With a little care it could even be better. After showing you what it cost, how I built it, and how I would do it slightly different, maybe you will agree. The original design was for a table size of 2’x5’. That was way too small. So being the simple minded person I am it was not hard to scale it up a little.

Below is a link to that design.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/worktabl/tablefig.htm

Here are some pics I stole off the website (hope they don’t mind) to show you what the basic structure is.

table1.gif

table2.gif

table4.gif

table5.gif

By looking at the design above you can see the basic structure and how it is assembled. Just as the instructions say you build the table mostly upside down.

Back