• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Zenith Zodiac 601 HDS Project - 5% Complete

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ajk

For sale: Zenith Zodiac 601HDS Kit Plane, purchased in 1995. Tail section mostly put together and one wing partially put together. The rest is waiting for you to assemble! Hoping to find an enthusiast to finish the project my grandfather started years ago. Reasonable offers considered.

Kit includes:
Kit: 601HDS – complete airframe kit CH 601 HDS
WTO – Wing tank opt. fuel system kit 1L & 1R
H-RIV Hand Riveter w/ custom heads
SNIP – Sheet metal snips (Wiss) 1L & 1R (found one)
**Please note: The engine and instrument panel are not included.

Parts were inventoried in Oct 2021. A few small pieces are unaccounted for - they may still be with the kit. A few parts didn't have visible numbers on them so they may be the unaccounted pieces. I can provide the inventory list if desired. The Zenith Aircraft Co. website says that they still have parts for this kit plane.

Additionally, comes with the following:
* Sheet listing how to get parts
* Zenair Construction Manual – “How to build your own Zodiac CH 601” by Chris Heintz P. Eng. Edition 3, 1/3/1995
* Zenith Aircraft Company – “Rudder Assembly Manual” 4th ed. 1994
* Zenair Zodiac Series booklet
* Jan. 29, 2001 letter with corrected instructions
* Several individual sheets with instructions
* Manual with construction directions and helps. The manual was for a similar model and the helps
differentiate what to do differently for the 601HDS.

E276B13C-D4FF-4B13-B869-1E68777DF8F4_1_201_a.jpeg

76A349BC-D0D4-47C8-B222-DAB6A9468F21.jpeg

4F3A6CB9-C103-4375-841D-75B3A6FB89B4.jpeg

5D016D3E-4AE7-4CBD-AEFA-E42304D0694B_1_201_a.jpeg A7E816B8-ADEB-4873-B32D-5644CFB9F354_1_201_a.jpeg

rv7charlie

1st post from new member is a for-sale ad. No info on location of the project. No price.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, you may be selling for a deceased relative/friend and have no experience with selling high-$ stuff on aviation forums. I would have forwarded this to a friend who's considering a similar kit purchase, but most of us would be very shy about expending a lot of energy and/or money when the person posting the ad has no prior presence on the forum. You will probably have improved response levels if you try to give some 'references'; EAA chapter membership/location, someone who might be well known and respected on this forum who can vouch for you, etc.

Unfortunately, it's a little too common for people to get burned when negotiating with brand new members of aviation forums.

ajk

That's a fair response and not far off. My grandfather recently moved out of his house and we're trying to sell this plane kit before the house sells. I don't have connections with aviation and have already tried contacting local EAA chapters in WI to see if there's interest in the plane - no responses. I'm doing my best to get the word out in hopes of finding someone local-ish to Viroqua, WI who is interested.
My grandfather paid $14k in 1995 so we are hoping to get maybe $5k out of it. I missed putting that number in the original post.

pfarber

No one cares if you are an EAA member. We know that most unfinished kits have a murky past at best.

The good thing is that Zenith is still around, and my hanger has a 601.. nice AC. But the 601 is not a current production item.

I doubt that $5k is gonna get interest. If a major part is missing/damaged/unusable that can make the kit useless.

Jimboagogo

That's a fair response and not far off. My grandfather recently moved out of his house and we're trying to sell this plane kit before the house sells. I don't have connections with aviation and have already tried contacting local EAA chapters in WI to see if there's interest in the plane - no responses. I'm doing my best to get the word out in hopes of finding someone local-ish to Viroqua, WI who is interested.
My grandfather paid $14k in 1995 so we are hoping to get maybe $5k out of it. I missed putting that number in the original post.
You might have luck posting ads at local airports. Be sure to include photos, whether or not the original packaging is still around, inventory of everything, plans inventory if all the pages are there, and motor if any. Selling aircraft takes time...selling aircraft parts can take forever. Best of luck.

Bigshu

No one cares if you are an EAA member. We know that most unfinished kits have a murky past at best.

The good thing is that Zenith is still around, and my hanger has a 601.. nice AC. But the 601 is not a current production item.

I doubt that $5k is gonna get interest. If a major part is missing/damaged/unusable that can make the kit useless.
No comment on whether 5K will get any takers, but the 601 is still a current production aircraft according to the Zenith site: CH 601 Archives - Zenith Aircraft Company
Even if it wasn't, it seems like there's a lot of parts commonalities with the 650. I see lots of ads on Barnstormers for old projects that sound less complete than this one, so maybe it'll find a home.

ajk

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I did previously post an ad on Barnstormers and only got a couple scam hits, but that was just the short free ad and not long enough to give any real details. I'll look into posting a proper paid ad and see where that gets me.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Stick here with HBA a bit longer. We all know people looking for projects like this. Location is important as you have already found out. If not sold before Airventure this summer that draws buyers from thousands of miles away and a good chance your buyer will relish the chance to take the trip and bring home a project.

Sounds like storage for a few more months is not as issue. Price is an issue for your customers. If they had the $$ they would already be building or flying. The mostly not built is a plus. Most builders want to see that it is done right and do not trust the work of others. What is built is easily inspected.

I have two students that each own half of the same CH 601 that they purchased earlier this year. Neather was a pilot. Their plane has both wing sets and they seem happy with it.

You can direct any interested buyers here and I will assist with flight questions. Others will likely comment on the build process.

Welcome aboard!

ajk

Update to my original post: Inventory list as of Oct 2021. Lines highlighted in yellow are parts that are accounted for. There are some additional parts that didn't have visible numbers and are not marked off on the list - those would have to be ID'd by expert. No engine or instrument panel. I don't think parts are in original packaging but they have been stored well. Open to offers if you're able to transport from Viroqua, WI.

Attachments

• Page 1.jpg
    Page 1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 20
  • Page 2.jpg
    Page 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Page 3.jpg
    Page 3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Page 4.jpg
    Page 4.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Page 5.jpg
    Page 5.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14

pfarber

No comment on whether 5K will get any takers, but the 601 is still a current production aircraft according to the Zenith site: CH 601 Archives - Zenith Aircraft Company
Even if it wasn't, it seems like there's a lot of parts commonalities with the 650. I see lots of ads on Barnstormers for old projects that sound less complete than this one, so maybe it'll find a home.
You have a strange definition of current production when you cannot buy one.

A page on a web site means nothing.

The zenith folks are all about the STOL now. I would be surprised if they had anything 601 related in stock.

But hey, for $5k you can surely give it a shot.

Bigshu

The zenith folks are all about the STOL now. I would be surprised if they had anything 601 related in stock.

Well, they are pretty focused on the 7XX series aircraft, but the 650 was getting lots of demo rides at the Zenith open house. The 601 plans are still

They do have a couple of parts in stock, but they mostly still sell plans for it. I still think there is a lot of commonality between the 650 and 601 on parts. As far as what a page on a website is worth, I think there's a difference between a site that is selling pie in the sky, but has no actual airplanes burning gas and killing bugs, and a site for a popular make of aircraft with a lot of actual flying examples of their designs. Zenith isn't a fly by night operation, even if they don't carry every part for one of their earliest designs. They support their builders as well, so I expect someone buying a secondhand kit would get the guidance and advice they need to bring it to completion.

JayKoit

Zenith will get you the parts you need, as long as you have a legitimate set of plans with a valid serial number. A couple years back (long after they stopped advertising the kit on the website) I actually ordered a set of 601 HD plans and rudder - and got pricing for the whole kit for when I was ready for more parts.

I ended up returning it because I found a 601 XL kit nearby and went in that direction - but that is also not a current model, and over the past couple years have order about a hundred parts for the XL without issue (they even sent me the wrong wing locker kit and wingtips - they were for the 601 HDS, so I have proof they stock some of those parts!)

This was my personal experience as an owner of a second hand Zenith kit of a discontinued model. The OP should just call the factory to confirm this is still the case....it was for me as recently as six months ago...

JohnCT

My local strip would be thrilled to have me bring a plane there and I have to make a trip out that way anyway....