Zenith / Zenair 701 Serial Number Question

Discussion in 'Sheet Metal' started by Victor Bravo, Sep 7, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 7, 2019 #1

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Maybe some HBA guy who is also on the zenith.aero discussion board can help me here.

I have signed up for zenith.aero but I am still not approved yet as a member, so I can't get an answer to this question yet, and patience is not my strong suit with information gathering. (I'm almost patient enough with the hardware :) )

I am buying a 701 repair project. The plans number is 7-3199. The FAA database shows the AWC was issued in 2003.

I cannot find a cross-reference on the Zenith factory "Builder Resources" section that tells me which plans revision, which gross weight, or which structural upgrades that this S/N plan set would have.

No, I do not have possession of the project yet, otherwise I'd look all that up.

So I'm trying to find out whether I have the old wing, the new wing, the old gross weight, the new gross weight, the old fuel tanks, etc. etc.

If any of you guys who are on the zenith.aero site now can find this out now, or if any of you happen to be having lunch with Roger or Sebastien today, I would appreciate the ability to spend this weekend on the learning curve instead of the holding pattern.

2. Sep 8, 2019 #2

rdj

rdj

rdj

I believe you'd have to call the factory to correlate a plans number with specific revisions. Based on my experience building a 650, Zenith works more on the 'plan date' philosophy. In other words, the date of the plans printing determines what features are shown. The Zenith builder's resource area contains all the plans updates, listed by date, so if you have an earlier plans set you can download the latest revised pages and build to that even if you have an 'earlier' S/N. When you order a kit/sub-kit you receive the latest revision of the parts, regardless of the S/N of your plans. The S/N seems to be mostly a form of 'customer ID'.

From the Zenith builder's site, the 701 4th edition updates are dated 11/02, the 5th edition 1st revision updates 5/03, and the 5th edition 2nd revision updates 10/03. (The latest is 5th edition 7th revision dated 11/08.) Since the AWC was issued in 2003, your plane would have to be built to the 5th edition 2nd revision specs, or earlier, unless it was modified later. The only way to know for sure AFAIK is to consult the build log, owner's manual (if the builder made one), or check the list of revisions for each drawing edition to see when the gross weight or structural upgrades you refer to happened. The zenith.aero 701 forum members may also know what changed when, but I'm in the 650 forum and not that one, sorry.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  3. Sep 8, 2019 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Thank you, but I had already run into that exact problem, and my post above was trying to circumvnt having to call the factory on Monday. They're not there on the weekend, neither is Quality Sport Planes (west coast dealer).

4. Sep 9, 2019 #4

rdj

rdj

rdj

I know you said patience wasn't your strong suit, but, you won't be the first Zenith builder/buyer waiting impatiently for Monday. Thankfully it's almost here :)