Zenith Homecoming 2021

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bigshu

I'm from Missouri, and try to make it every year, if only to bug Sebastion about the SAM LSA, and chat with William Wynne...

JMyers1

I'm from Missouri, and try to make it every year, if only to bug Sebastion about the SAM LSA, and chat with William Wynne...
What is the relationship between the Canadian and US ownership? Seems like some family drama there? The websites are confusing to say the least.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Haven't heard anything about any family drama... has anyone else here heard that? AFAIK, Dad had a successful company with US and Canadian divisions, and had one of the sons run each of them?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Nope. It was a marketing decision mostly. As I recall, it had a lot to do with easier shipping.

JMyers1

Knowing family businesses it would probably be more odd if there wasn't any drama, so I probably worded that wrong. It's just odd that there are two independently owned companies with similar (but not identical) names selling the same product. I believe there were 4 sons and only one of them runs the US company which I would imagine sells most of their kits.

Probably not really any of my business, just curious and (as a consumer) a bit confusing. They could have picked clearer domain names at least!

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Zenair is the Canadian company, founded by Chris. Zenith, the American company, was started by Sebastien.

I don't know the particulars of why Sebastien came to Missouri or why they started a separate company in the USA, but I do know that Sebastien is an utterly approachable guy and nice guy and I'm sure he would be happy to inform anyone who asks him.

b7gwap

Export laws and tariffs I think. Think of Toyota’s truck plant in Texas.

Chris Heintz, who just passed away recently (as an old man of natural causes, RIP) was a Frenchman who emigrated to Canada. The parent company is Zenair in Ontario.

It can cost a lot of money to move your product across National borders.

I’ve been toying with going to the homecoming, I have some corvair blocks I want to give to William Wynne, and I’d like to look at some finished Zeniths. Is it too late? How much does it end up costing to go minus the travel to get there? Anyone here gone before?

Austin

Bigshu

Other than your travel costs and what you spend on site for food and stuff, there's no costs I know of. If you camp on site, it's basically as cheap as you like. I typically stay at a hotel, but there's no charge for attending, or seeing the construction presentations. Getting to talk to the Zenith folks and WW, and the other vendors is much more relaxed than at Airventure.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
There's no cover charge, but if you want to eat at the homecoming banquet, you should buy tickets in advance.

JMyers1

I can’t find any hotels in Mexico with rooms, so I’ll be staying in St Louis and commuting in a 340, I have some extra seats if anyone else is in a similar boat.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
We had to get a place in Kingdom City. It's a little under an hour by car, but our Labrador gets to stay with us. You'll know her if you see her there. She absolutely loves people and gets incredibly excited when she's around them. We call her the Meth Lab because she's always on speed.

robertl

Have to agree. I stopped there on a short notice and couldn't have been treated any better.
Same here Pops, I was headed to a job in Nebraska and stopped for the night along the interstate and realized that Mexico Mo. was only a short drive. The next morning I headed to their hanger and knocked on the door, when the lady opened the door, I explained that I had a set of their plans and just thought I would stop by. She invited me in and I got a complete tour, I asked if I could get a flight in the 701 and she said as soon as Roger got there he would take me for a flight. What a great experience, everyone was super and I went back for their open house hanger days fly in. Sadly I did not complete my scratch project and ended up buying a Cessna 150, I have nothing but praise for the Zenith family.
Bob

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yes, wife and I and my daughter were driving back from Kansas and looked on the map while on I-70 not far from the correct exit to Mexico and called and ask if we could stop for a tour. Met Sebastien and got the tour. I was impressed how everything was organized. Well run company. Everyone was great.
If I was to buy a kit, I would look hard at the 750 HD with a LYC-320.

Bigshu

We had to get a place in Kingdom City. It's a little under an hour by car, but our Labrador gets to stay with us. You'll know her if you see her there. She absolutely loves people and gets incredibly excited when she's around them. We call her the Meth Lab because she's always on speed.
I never have any luck finding rooms in Kingdom City, so I typically stay in Columbia. It's a longer drive, but the choices of place to stay and price of rooms works for me. I usually drive to Columbia, check in, have dinner, then the next morning head over to Mexico for a long day visiting and talking to folks, then drive back to KC that night. I've done that for several visits.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
It's a timing thing. I did it weeks ago. There were still rooms in Mexico at the time, but none of those accept the meth lab. There were even a few B&Bs and condo rentals available back then.

Bigshu

It's a timing thing. I did it weeks ago. There were still rooms in Mexico at the time, but none of those accept the meth lab. There were even a few B&Bs and condo rentals available back then.
Yeah, I try not to schedule things very far out. Plans change to quickly for me to keep up. If I'm operating a week or two out, I'm lucky!