Zenith CH750 build...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Taiser

Final dress of the seat. Looks pretty good!

It latches with the seat far forward now! YAY!!!! Mind you if you don't use the sliding seats this isn't an issue and if I had paid more attention when I mounted the sliders I could have moved the seat over 1/2 and avoided this, but the doors weren't installed when I did this, neither were the door latches... so who knew... :(

Taiser

Pilot side of the lower front window had about a 1/4" gap under it. Could cause some ram air pressurizing the cabin, which could put some stress on the "doors opening in flight" issue. I was going to figure out some way to seal it later on. I wish Zen made the windshield a bit more tight on their molding so it would snug up more. The other side is fine though. I'm not the only person with this issue. I noticed lots of builder photos have a small screw in the lower corner of the windshield to snug it down. Decided to do the same. As much as I hate drilling into this stuff, seems like the best solution.

Marked the area where pressure from my finger seemed to make the best seal.

Last edited:

Taiser

Acrylic bit used!

Drilled through the windshield with a small bit, then drilled a hair into the panel skin to mark it. This will mark the center hole.

Taiser

Enlarged the hole to 1/4" so that it had room to "breath", then drilled a 1/8" hole through the skin. That trim "glue" looks like crap! :wail: I'm going to clean that up with black sealant later on!

This is what I set up for now. Stainless screw, washer and a rubber grommet to seal and protect the hole. Secured inside with a lock nut.

Taiser

Not bad. If I dab some black paint on the screw head I doubt you'd even notice it there!

Don't have to torque it down too hard, just enough to get rid of that gap! I will probably do the other side as well, just in case the airflow tries to lift that side off as well. Some builders have come up with a fiberglass lower fairing for the bottom windshield. I think that would be a great idea. Might be another project for next winter!

Taiser

Finished up the week-end (in the rain :( ) building this box. Was trying to figure out how to get my wings to the airport. I was going to fine tune my wing rack to support a bit better but with the slats now installed I think there would be too much pressure on them with all the weight of the wing bearing down on them. Decided to build a box that I can line with foam. Will carry the wings in it upside down. I'll have to make two trips, but the airport is only about 20 km away so it's not too bad.

Made the box 14'5" x 5' x 24" high. We had a similar box for my buddies Stinson wings but that box is way bigger and is falling apart now. Most of this plywood came from the shipping crate the Zen came in with. :) Next stop... THE AIRPORT!!!! :D

Taiser

Hey Hey! Thought I should check in. I'm getting some panicky PM's and e-mails LOL. She hasn't flown yet but made it to my airpark in one piece. Was a pretty nerve wracking trip too. Thank god it's only about 20 km away from my house. The very final stuff is almost done. Some of it was a royal PITA to do (more on that later) but now, she's sitting pretty and 99.99999% done. I have a bit of lockwiring to do and double checking all the fittings. That's about it. I was hoping for an inspection this weekend but I have family coming to town so it will probably be done next week, as long as the inspector is available. Fuel flow test revealed an issue, so did the bloody flaperon settings. Jesus, that was a complete nightmare to do. Anyhoo, here's a few shots of what's been going on...

Taiser

Noticed this for the first time. The nuts on the bottom of the tire were rubbing on the tire. Barely touching it, but after pulling it in from the dusty driveway I noticed this. Don't like it. Went on the forums and saw pictures of other builds. Some are like mine, others have the bolts reversed. I decided to spin them around. That means getting the crane out and lifting the BB by the engine!

Here's a better shot. It's not touching but I think when it's bouncing around it sometimes does...

Taiser

Loading the BB up. Trailer was overkill and loading it up was a bit of a pain. The tail was hitting the ground so we had to put some boards down to lessen the ramp angle. I tied up the front and pulled it on the trailer with my tractor... went realllllll slow! :)

Loaded up and tied down with a large number of ratchet straps!

Taiser

Load one off to the airport, two to go. Wings followed one a time in the large box. I put a bunch of old outdoor furniture chair cushions in the box and bought two huge tarps that I scrunched up and lined the box with. Put one wing in upside down and gently strapped it down.

Unloading at the airport! :) Made easier with the raised driveway that goes into the clubs maintenance hangar!

Taiser

Got the wings on... was about 11 pm when we were done. The left one was a real @#$%^ to get on for some reason. We were putting it on in the dark using our cell phones as flashlight to see what we were doing... :(

Noticed the next day, the trim over the windshield was being shoved up by the wing root skin! :eek: You can kinda see it on the top of the passenger side here. Not a big deal to fix but the wing had to come off. It sprang down and was way easier to install after that. Funny how daylight makes life easier... ;)

Taiser

Wings are on! I don't want to do this on a regular basis. It's a pain and would be hard on the attach points if done all the time. Hoping to get a hangar spot here so I can build a hangar with my buddy. This airpark is one of Thunder Bay's little gem. Our club has a 100 year lease on the property, cost is 100$ a year, 250$ a year if you get a hangar lot (but they are in limited supply) and you get full access to everything. Fuel is available too. Hard to beat this deal. Runway is next to a river where the float planes are! :)

With the wings on, time to clean up the connections. This side has fuel lines, pitot and AoA tubes, nav lights, landing lights and fuel gauge connectors.

Taiser

Better shot!!! :D

Noticed the rudder wasn't hitting the stops. Pretty common issue. The steering attach for the pedals sometimes hits the firewall channel. Zen says to just trim it out a bit...

Taiser

Didn't take much. This shouldn't be though. Zen should fix this... :mad2:

Found this guy crawling up my arm! About 5" long... stupid salamanders... Tossed him back in a creek...

Taiser

So did a fuel flow test. Didn't think it would be an issue. When I had my defective Andair fuel valve, I pulled a line to take it off. There was enough pressure in there to spray me hard in the face!!! I leveled the plane, drained the fuel to unusable, added one gallon per tank, then lowered the tail. Sorry, forgot to snap a shot! :( Anyways, with the tail down I had 18 degrees down angle on the reference longerons. Test only requires 15 degrees, but since this is a STOL I left it at 18. I disconnected the fuel line at the carb and turned the fuel valve on. Readings were about 12 gallons an hour!!! :eek: No good!!! My engine burns over 9 gallons an hour and regs here require 150% flow. What the hell? Anyways, took a while, testing the lines, checking for crud, etc. With the fuel pump on, I'm getting over 32 gallons. Facet says their fuel pump have full flow. That's total BS!!! I bypassed the pump and redid the test. Got over 17 gallons of fuel after bypassing the pump!!! Soooo...

Yanked the pump out! :( I thought about putting a bypass in, but that would be lots of plumbing, more lines, checkvalves... Not worth the hassle. If I kept the pump then I'd have to add a second one as a backup so out she came. Weighed it... it's over 2 lbs with the lines! Not a total loss...

Taiser

Straight line went in. I bought a shorter line that has since been put in.

Adjusting the flaperons was a complete nightmare. Took over 2 days! :eek: and I still can't get the angles they want on the plans! It's all about playing with the rod ends in the belly but every time you touch one, the other goes out of whack!!! Plans call for 13 degrees + or - 1 degree. I get about 11.5 degrees on them. Two of my rod ends are at the limits, one more turn puts them out of safety. Got a hold of Zen and they said it's fine. Their demo one was flying with 10 degrees. Apparently moving the stick a fraction of a degree makes huge changes, just due to the size of the flaperons. I'm leaving it where it is!!!

Taiser

Banging the flaperons back and forth I notice that the left rudder cable gets pushed over on left stick and rubs on the left side tunnel. I installed a fairlead there to protect the tunnel. This was fun, pushing a rivet through this material by myself! I taped it down and was able to get the rivet through by going slow...

Here is the installed fairlead. Riveted from inside the baggage compartment so the rivets blend right in...

Group Builder