Quantcast

Zenith carb confusion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
For the 1/2 VW engine, Great Plains sells the Zenith model 11, and Hummel Engines (Scott Cassler) sells the Zenith 13922. I can't find a lot of information about the model 11, and can't find anything at all about the 13922. Are these different part numbers for the same carb? If not, are there any pros/cons to the two, or are they similar enough not to make a difference?

I would be putting it on a Global 35hp engine.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The model numbers for the Zenith carbs are very confusing. I believe the Zenith carb we use on different cc's of VW engines are the 68 Series of Zenith Carbs. This is what I found on another site about Zenith Carbs used on VW's, but didn't include the 1/2 VW.
1835 cc--- Use Model 1819
1915 cc--- Use Model 1819
2180 cc --- Use Model 2122
2276 cc --- Use Model 2122

On my 1835 cc VW, I use model 1819 and worked great. This might help someone, but sorry it will not help you on the Global 35 Hp engine.
https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Zenith_68_Series.pdf

https://norfar.com/products/zenith-13922-carburetor

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
For the 1/2 VW engine, Great Plains sells the Zenith model 11, and Hummel Engines (Scott Cassler) sells the Zenith 13922. I can't find a lot of information about the model 11, and can't find anything at all about the 13922. Are these different part numbers for the same carb? If not, are there any pros/cons to the two, or are they similar enough not to make a difference?
I can't answer your question, but here's another possible lead. It is a bit of overlap with what Pops already provided. This is what Steve Bennett wrote to a customer several years ago:
. . . Yes, it is confusing! You should see Zenith's master Catalog - for something really confusing. In general terms, a 12566 up through a 13922 are of the same body style and are put in what Zenith calls Model 68 series carbs. Part number 14992 up through 14998's are in Model number 267 series. . .
Also, Steve said that Great Plains uses their own part number to refer to the Zenith carbs.

From his text above, the "13922" appears to be a Zenith Model 68 series carb.

You could talk to Scott Cassler or the folks at Great Plains and they could probably tell you the difference. Scott is probably familiar with the Zenith carbs in the GP catalog, and will know if his is the same or not--and he could tell you why he sells what he does.

N8053H

Call Scott and speak with him. He solders the middle of one of the jets closed for the 1/2 vw. Speak with Scott and he can explain this for you. Or do what I did and send him your carb. For a small fee he will not only do this but check your carb over and correct any issues.

As for these numbers, Scott can explain this for you. I believe one number is a model number and one a serial number for that model. Meaning they are the same carb. But ask Scott.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I asked when I noticed the different part numbers after placing a bid for a new-in-box Great Plains model 11 carb on Ebay. I probably should have done that in a different order. Anyway, I won the auction at $200, I'm guessing it will work just fine.

I'll be calling Scott in a few weeks to order some items for the engine, and I'll be ordering a spinner from Great Plains soon, too, I'll ask then.

Thanks!

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
The Great Plains Zenith model 11 I bought has "13922" stamped on the side, so they are indeed the same carburetor. Whether Great Plains makes any modifications before calling it a "Model 11" is a question I do not have an answer to yet, but will update when I find out.

jpquincampoix

I would be putting it on a Global 35hp engine.

n45bm

The model numbers for the Zenith carbs are very confusing. I believe the Zenith carb we use on different cc's of VW engines are the 68 Series of Zenith Carbs. This is what I found on another site about Zenith Carbs used on VW's, but didn't include the 1/2 VW.
1835 cc--- Use Model 1819
1915 cc--- Use Model 1819
2180 cc --- Use Model 2122
2276 cc --- Use Model 2122

On my 1835 cc VW, I use model 1819 and worked great. This might help someone, but sorry it will not help you on the Global 35 Hp engine.
https://www.gravelymanuals.com/pdf/Zenith_68_Series.pdf

Zenith 13922 Carburetor
Great Plains Zenith carbs for the 1800-1900 cc engines is the model 1819, surprise!
the 2122 carb they sell are for engines in the 2100-2200 displacement. No surprise there!

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Great Plains Zenith carbs for the 1800-1900 cc engines is the model 1819, surprise!
the 2122 carb they sell are for engines in the 2100-2200 displacement. No surprise there!
That would explain the Great Plains Model 11 carb being for the typically 1100cc-ish 1/2 vw.

jpquincampoix

Dears,

I am a new french member on this forum and I wish to share my carb experience with Great Plains Aircraft.
So I bought a #1617 carb for my VW 1600cc. I have installed and ran it. Immediatly the mixture was too rich and it never be possible to lean it as needed.
I wrote GP to have an answer about wich type of carb they sent to me. And began the troubles... SILENCE from Great Plains. Its thanks to this forum that I could find a part number, GP never gave me anyone. It was probably a 13922 CARB which is given for 180 TO 200 CID engines that they sent, just twice the displacement of mine!
What is unusual for aiviation business is : No part number, No referrence and a dramatic silence when troubles comes. The part are shipped in a different trade mark of the product itself...
I cannot hide my deception because there are 400 dollars lost! plus the time spend for an impossible result
So I tried an other type the 12522 which was immediatly good (a kippa one)
So I suggest you not to business with GB for the carbs, their intakes are good and easy to install and I suppose many of other parts as well.
You can find all the carbs at norfar.com
The pictures shox my plane and the different venturis size between the 12522 and the 13922 CARBS. Do you see a difference?

Hope this helps you, good flights and best regards.

Attachments

Tom H

Mr. jbq..., that web site is a great source of info. I've previously looked for Zenith carb info and found some, but this one seems to be comprehensive. Thanks.

Henka

Old Global engine came with Zenith carb 12566. (Also marked 11-88 <- but maybe not related). Its venturi is marked "21".
I have also not tried yet the Kippa 12522 but it looks very similar.