Zenith 801 with Bearhawk wing?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

akbuilder

Wondering how this would work if you mixed a Zenith CH801 fuselage with an Bearhawk or other type of standard style wing? Any comments or suggestions on this idea would be most appreciated. Only looking to increase cruise speed a little to 100, 115mph or so no real payload increases. Would the tail structure need to be redesigned for a different airflow off the new wing? Kicking around ideas right now.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Joe

DaveK

You are talking about a major redesign of the aircraft. The wing attachment points won't lineup, the loads transmitted to the fuselage would be different, among other things. And you aluded to stability concerns with the question of the tail. Search the archives as Orion and others have written at length about other similiar questions.
There is a wing for the CH701 that is advertized in the magazines that has retractable slats, which could help a bit in the cruise catagory. Whether they have this for the 801 I don't remember, and I don't know of anyone who has used this wing.
Depending on exactly how the 801 wing is designed you maybe able to eliminate the slats. Should be good for a few knots, but would cost you on the low end. Others can comment on the complications that could result;)
Hope that helps,
Dave

Norman

There is a wing for the CH701 that is advertized in the magazines that has retractable slats, which could help a bit in the cruise catagory. Whether they have this for the 801 I don't remember, and I don't know of anyone who has used this wing.
That would be the Pegastol wing from Dedalius Aviation. It's a completly defferent wing from the original Zenith wing (new airfoils, more span, thicker skin, broder flaperon chord and unfortunatly heavier). Aperantly Dedalius stoped production a few years ago but they sold the wing to Raymond Miller and he hopes to be back in production sometime this year. As far as I know it is only for 701s and derivitives. Here are some more details:
http://www.supercub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7011&view=next&sid=a41ced9b04ebf43d3fd5bfd0209815ea
http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=66549&sid=4ee6388095706785eae865f284aa890a

Rhino

Just curious. Why would you want to put Bearhawk wings on an 801 anyway?

akbuilder

Doesn't have to be a bearhawk wing, just a different style (Cessna, Murphy, or any other aluminum wing that could be fit to the thing) to get a little more speed and range. (less drag) I know the thing is not built for speed, but maybe it could at least out run cub. (Maybe) Just a wild thought I guess.

Rhino

I've actually been curious along those lines before as well. I was wondering at one point what the effect would be if you simply removed the leading edge slats completely.

akbuilder

wonder how it would be if the wing was redesigned with VGs, flaps instead of the flaparons. Keep the fat hershey bar, move rear spar if needed add flaps and alerons. Lots of work but may be worth the effort.

PTAirco

If you simply remove the slats on the 801 you will end up with a very strange, blunt-nosed airfoil indeed as it was designed to work with the slat. It would have an unusually large radius on the leading edge. How it would work is anybody's guess, but I would think you end up with disappointing results.

DaveK

But removing the slats and changing the nose profile, to something better suited for use by itself, could result in what akbuilder is looking for. It would at first blush be a much easier redesign job then grafting on some other wing to the plane.

akbuilder

So your talking about taking just the leading edge and reshaping it to a different style?? That would be a lot easier then trying to redo the whole thing.

akbuilder

Seen one once, don't need something that big. kids will be gone soon and only need space for gear and occasional passenger. Thinking wag aero, but this is a interesting idea.

Rhino

Interesting. That was along the lines I was thinking before. I find it heartening that he didn't have much of a problem with a stuck slat. That was the only aspect of that design that really worried me.

akbuilder

If I understand what he said right, he did not change the profile on the wing except for taking off the slats and adding the VGs and possibly lengthening the wing. If thats the case then the 801 deserves another close look.

Last edited: