Zenith 750 cruzer future builder questions?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

snowy_50

Generally it was 40 hours, but a new task based approach makes that flexible according to the complexity of the aircraft. Simpler aircraft may take less time, and more complex aircraft may take longer. Additionally, this approach allows you to have a list of tasks to follow that insure you cover what's needed to confirm the safety of your aircraft for normal flight. Documenting the tasks also gives you a lot of the data you need to create a flight manual/pilot operating handbook (POH). Or.... you can stick with the old 40 hour approach.

By the way, I recommend purchase of the EAA Flight Test Manual and test cards, currently second edition I believe.
Thank you !
Btw another question,is there another place i can ask for them to make me a kit for avionics? Already got prices for advance av, (so expensive) and from zenith using dynon, also did my own version with analog and digital gauges
I know i know it should be left for last when im done but im not sure what other companys are there for panels?

Rhino

I'm not personally familiar with them myself, but I understand they're all fairly expensive. It's time consuming, and hourly rates add up fast. I worked avionics for 20 years, so I never seriously considered paying anyone else to build my panel. Or at least, I never seriously considered paying them that much.

snowy_50

I'm not personally familiar with them myself, but I understand they're all fairly expensive. It's time consuming, and hourly rates add up fast. I worked avionics for 20 years, so I never seriously considered paying anyone else to build my panel. Or at least, I never seriously considered paying them that much.
Ahh! I see, i wanted to do my own as well but im not sure what i would need?
I wanted to have 2 uavionic displays and the rest with analog gauges powered electrically,but from lack of experience im not sure what i would need or if its outs of my skill level to attempt it

Better question would be if theres any kits for 10k? Sorry for so many question

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I may, relax a bit about the instrument panel for now. You've got an airframe to build and, even with a kit, that's several years of work. With the pace electronics are advancing, by the time you need a panel, anything you spec right now will probably be off the market and obsolete.

Worry about the airplane for now. Worry about the panel later. You don't need a $10k panel to use and enjoy the heck out of this airplane anyway. Build an airplane and get your pilot license. You'll learn more about "what kind of panel you want" from the experience of actually flying full-size airplanes than you can possibly conceive right now. I know electronics are moth-to-a-flame for a lot of people, but get your focus on the airframe for the moment, and learning to fly.

b7gwap

I would like a nice ship’s compass on my Hobie 16…

snowy_50

If I may, relax a bit about the instrument panel for now. You've got an airframe to build and, even with a kit, that's several years of work. With the pace electronics are advancing, by the time you need a panel, anything you spec right now will probably be off the market and obsolete.

Worry about the airplane for now. Worry about the panel later. You don't need a $10k panel to use and enjoy the heck out of this airplane anyway. Build an airplane and get your pilot license. You'll learn more about "what kind of panel you want" from the experience of actually flying full-size airplanes than you can possibly conceive right now. I know electronics are moth-to-a-flame for a lot of people, but get your focus on the airframe for the moment, and learning to fly.
Thank you,and yeah im just one of those people who like to research every inch of what i need, but your right cause of the rate of advancement,i would not be surprised if we had holograms soon

Orange4sky

I would also try to get a flight in a finished version of your prospective homebuilt before you commit. The Cruzer has some “quirks” that I personally do not like but many love the Zenith line. You would not want to go through all that work only to find out you don’t like how it flies.

As for avionics, since building takes a lot of time, I kept a lookout and managed to score a lot of deals on equipment including brand new glass for a bargain from builders who “upgraded” or sold off their unfinished projects. It’s been a huge part of the fun of building for me.

I also avoid The Big Box Aviation Retailer (I think you can figure out who I mean) for two reasons: 1) Monopoly is bad for price and selection. 2) There are a lot of surplus / alternative supplies out there for homebuilding for a fraction of the cost of retail.

Last edited:

snowy_50

I would also try to get a flight in a finished version of your prospective homebuilt before you commit. The Cruzer has some “quirks” that I personally do not like but many love the Zenith line. You would not want to go through all that work only to find out you don’t like how it flies.

As for avionics, since building takes a lot of time, I kept a lookout and managed to score a lot of deals on equipment including brand new glass for a bargain from builders who “upgraded” or sold off their unfinished projects. It’s been a huge part of the fun of building for me.

I also avoid The Big Box Aviation Retailer (I think you can figure out who I mean) for two reasons: 1) Monopoly is bad for price and selection. 2) There are a lot of surplus / alternative supplies out there for homebuilding for a fraction of the cost of retail.
Yes! I do plan on flying or atleast seen it closely in person before comiting

Any place i can see said surplus/used/unfinished panels i can snag up? (Not now just wana see prices)

Aesquire

Some of the nicest glass cockpit instrument screen setups I've seen are from companies that no longer exist, and when they die, will need to be replaced by a whole new panel, or lots of it.

It's probable ( your favorite brand name here ) will still be around in the X years it will take you to deburr, polish, drill, deburr, rivet, lather, rinse, repeat... To the point you seriously can look at a fancy panel.

But I point out I had to pay for "off brand" film for my Kodak camera to take pictures of my buddy's Scion XB, which has zip ties like medical stitches holding the front plastic on after his wife hit a deer.

And I no longer use my IBM PC-AT to post here on my dial up modem. ( I'm using a Kindle and meshed Wi-Fi )

So the advice to wait on the panel is VERY sound. Today you may "need" an ADS-B setup, but the "need" might be -E by the time you fly.

Otoh... Shopping for good bargains, especially used, is practically the Mantra for affordable flying. A buddy got a deal on a Dynon D2 ( discontinued now ) pocket panel for his Fokker Triplane replica project, and it sits as inspiration on his desk. ( while the project slowly progresses ) The plan is to have a panel with a small engine multifunction display, basic compass, altimeter, airspeed, plus the D2, that gets covered when parked, with a cartoon version of an original Fokker panel with fake/joke German labels. ( "gutnhigh" & "toodamslow" etc. ) He's waiting on Engine ( wants an Australian Rotec radial ) and communication technology, which might fit under a Snoopy leather helmet by the time he flies it.