Zenair Zipper

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

ypsilon

I have one

David M.
Great!
There is the general notion, that sailwing implementations don't work well under real world circumstances, because the wings aerodynamic behaviour is very much dependent on tension of the trailing edge cable. IOW, one needs to make sure, that this tension doesn't change too much during flight (due to changed conditions of temperature / humidity) and that it's always symmetrical.

Somewhat related is the fact, that (in the particular implementation) the ailerons load the trailing edge therefore may induce all kind of aeroelastic ramifications.
I wonder if any of this is a real concern in practice.

How does the Zipper handle?
Does it spin?
How is it's "high" speed (in relative terms) handling.
How does it cope with turbulences?

Anything else you'd mention in PiRep?

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
You do not want to fly in moderate to heay turbulence. The sailwing is great on sunny days with light winds. On other days it will scare the [email protected]@@ out of you.

I investigated all the sail wind designs and talked with several designers. Sail wings perform best heavily loaded, lightly loaded and in turbulence they will loose their shape somewhat. One compared it to the rigolo wing.....

David

Bill-Higdon

There was a Zipper for sale in "in Your Face" market place I tried to figure out how to get it trans ported from the middle of the US to the Pacific North Wet, I gave up never heard what happened to it

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
yes, very odd sizes however that is not unusual for Zenair. but I will get it for you. It will take some time.

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
The early renditions used the chiota or a early rotax twin, about 18hp if I remember right. Later they went to twin 277 for the two seater and a single 277 for the single seat.

b7gwap

Weird question, what is the music in that 1970s Zipper video posted above as it rolls credits?