• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Zenair 701 Parts / Project Cheap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Zenair CH-701 parts/project, $2200.00 FIRM. Moderate to significant "repair project", except it's mostly not crash damage.

If Gilligan and the Skipper will forgive me - "Oh, sit right back and you'll hear a tale.... a tale of a fateful trip...."

I was all set to purchase a 701 repair project from a friend. He even brought it here from Vegas to LA and dropped it off.

Some jackass had come and looked at buying it when my friend had it for sale (in Vegas a couple of years ago), and was rummaging through all the documentation, and apparently walked off with the signed Bill of Sale that my friend had gotten with it.

A year or two passed, and when I got interested in buying it, and looked up the N number online, it showed that this N number and aircraft serial number was not registered to my friend, it had been registered to the same jackass who had NOT bought it from my friend. (He probably used the N number and airworthiness certificate on a 701 project of his own, saving the entire process of having a DAR and a new AWC issued.)

To nobody's surprise, the jackass went silent on me, will not return my 20 phone calls, and is "unavailable for comment".

So my friend who is actually the legitimate owner of this "airplane" and I decided that rather than file a lawsuit and have a SWAT team roll up on Jackass Blvd., and have the airplane tied up in litigation until the aluminum turned white, we would sell it as PARTS, at a very low price.

There is in fact an airworthiness certificate present, but it is now fraudulently linked to a different airplane. So the AWC is probably worthless, or a chore to get straightened out

Same story with a set of plans and a Zenair serial number. I have it, but it may not be relevant. And a photo book showing the original builder (RIP).

The airplane itself is not pretty by any means. It probably needs a new tailcone, which is four sheets of flat .016" aluminum and four .040 bent sheet longerons. The existing skins and longerons can easily be patched per standard sheet metal repair, if you want that genuine hillbilly technology look, but to be honest it would be just as easy to put a new tailcone on it.

There is one wing with MINOR damage and one newly built wing (to replace the crash-bent wing). The new wing has some transportation damage but it is MINOR.

The firewall has minor damage, but it has a bunch of extra rivet holes because they used two different engines at various times. Replacing the firewall is recommended but not necessary.

Horizontal tail, elevator, and rudder are good enough to use as-is. Not bad at all, but not show quality.

Engine cowling (for Rotax 912, decent usable condition) is included.

Main landing gear, wheels/tires/brakes, wing struts, doors, and firewall forward are MISSING and not included.

There is a NEW windshield included, still in the plastic spray goop protectant.

I have a photo sheet and a smart-alecky written description that I'm attaching to this posting. PLEASE NOTE the original asking price of $2700 has been lowered to $2200. Alsonote that the cowling is now here in LA with me, no need to ship it from AZ.

Anyone who is genuinely interested is welcome to call, PM, text, etc.

Basically, this will give you the equivalent of a 60% start on building a 701, and save you about $7500.

Upgrading this CH-701 to the newer model 701 SP is very straightforward, Zenair even has a procedure to do just that.

Attachments

• 701 Photo Sheet.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Back