• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Zambrano Bocono I: Venezuela's first indigenous homebuilt airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Here's a new one to me...Venezuela's first indigenous homebuilt aircraft. Note the summary below--1948 VW engine, Allis-Chalmers tractor magneto, silver doped satin fabric, galvanized mild steel tubing and a windscreen made from a Willys Jeep soft top! The result was a sort of low-wing, fully-enclosed Legal Eagle. Bocono II was a helicopter. Neat stuff!

Copia de Cutaway avión Zambrano Bocono  final.jpg Única-y-rara-foto-conocida-del-avión-Boconó-I-construido-por-el-Trujillano-Vicente-Zambrano.-Cer.jpg BoconoI.vlcsnap-2014-01-19-20h42m16s255.jpg

Cutaway Zambrano "Bocono I" first plane completely handmade construction, designed and built by the popular tecnologo Vicente Zambrano, Quie without any preparation in aeronautical engineering undertook the almost impossible task of building a plane with his own hands over there in 1964 although before He had tried but without success with a previous model little known, then rashly decides to take flight in it without pilot, his shock was greater than seen in the air, luck accompanied him and that adventure came out unscathed after colliding with a tree when he decided to descend without knowing how to land this machine, was a self-taught man, mechanic able to repair any machinery with scarce resources that had there in a small village section called "the Marshes". To motorized becomes a engine Volskwagen 1948, the same will makes the following modifications put to work the crankshaft on bearings and the original Delco electrical system and adapts the magnets of a tractor Allis Chalmers, tubular structure made of tubes galvanized, coated fabric satin painted silver and in the words of its creator "it was the best results gave" had wings braced cables, lacked a windshield as such for what use transparent plastic roof of a old Jeep Willys so it was very light, ideo, design and build all controls flight control, its landing gear was classic tailwheel, ungainly appearance and must have been very hot since they lacked ventilation in his little cabin. serve this modest schematic cut as a tribute to the almost unknown entrepreneur who already flies highest in eternity. in 1966 he donated his "Bocono I" to Aeronautical Museum FAV, only years later after damaged by the bad conditions to which it was exposed was rejected of the institution who as most do not appreciate the scope of that modest tecnologo and creator. Author Motocar 10/11/2016 Source: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23005.msg292020.html#msg292020
Complete article (in Spanish with many pics and renderings, use Google Translate if needed): http://www.aviacioncivil.com.ve/el-primer-avion-autoctono-de-venezuela-el-bocono-de-vicente-zambrano

Documentary video (also in Spanish, use the settings button in YouTube for auto-translated subtitles if needed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back