• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Z Stiffened Panel Buckling Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proppastie

Looking at the Load Test Question (Load Test Question) thread one can see the problems I encountered. The current plan is to add nose ribs and Z stiffeners. One of the problems of calculation for the Z stiffened panel is that the equations are based on test data. One is not suposed to extrapolate data curves.....and there was no data for the .016 skin I am using. I decided to make a test panel and test it to destruction in pure compression. I made a fixture, panel, and pressure gauge. The gauge was made out of a 10,000 psi 20,000 lb Harbor Freight body work cylinder and a pressure gauge. Cylinder is 43mm and there is a 2.25 sq inch area.....The pound force is 2.25 the pressure reading. I proved out the gauge against my hanging scale, tested the panel until it buckled.

The calculation said 823 lb per panel and there were two panels. The test panel failed at 1699 lb. 2x823=1646 lb. IMG_1270.JPGgauge775psi.jpggauge775psi2.jpgIMG_1279.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Z stiff panels5hbapost.xls
    1.4 MB · Views: 4