YouTuber under FAA Investigation for seemingly deliberate crash...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dam , if I ever get my project finished and by some chance lose power , think I'm just gonna choose to die in the wreckage and pray like hell no one is videoing it . Wonder if he's vaccinated ? That's where I'd start the investigation .

Kyle Boatright

Would it be different if the aircraft involved was a cirrus?
Well, when a similar situation occurred with a Bonanza, there was less outrage. And given that Cirri are considered soulless by hardcore airplane people (right or wrong - never been in one), I think trashing a Taylorcraft is perceived as a bigger affront to enthusiast aviation.

dwalker

Well, when a similar situation occurred with a Bonanza, there was less outrage. And given that Cirri are considered soulless by hardcore airplane people (right or wrong - never been in one), I think trashing a Taylorcraft is perceived as a bigger affront to enthusiast aviation.
In fairness, the Bonanza incident was staged much more believably..

Bigshu

Would it be different if the aircraft involved was a cirrus?
Yeah, if it was a Cirrus, he wouldn't have bailed. Too much technology to record his actions. People would ask why he didn't just push the button. Plus, he might not have been able to exit a Cirrus as easily as a Taylorcraft.

TFF

Plenty of chutes pulled, on Cirrus on camera. Nothing to mine for “Like” hounds. Ditching in water, while dramatic in my book for camera , is not the same as jumping out. Just stupid waste. Now someone jumping out of a Cirrus with out pulling the BRS; that’s the perfect puzzle. I wonder if these people think insurance will just pay up?

I had a great uncle that had spent a week floating in the Pacific when his B26 was shot out from under him. I don’t think he would have thought either was cool.

trimtab

If you think about it without letting outrage take over, it's no different than an old aircraft being destroyed during filming of a real movie.
If you think about it, it's no different than putting a stick in the gas and bailing out of the car on public lands and hoping it doesn't hurt anyone or start a wildfire ( Boulder family fought off Marshall Fire to save their home, possibly many others ).

If injury or a fire set by the intentional abandonment of the unguided missile occurred, I doubt Mr. Jacob would be allowed to remain above room temperature for very long anywhere on the continent.

Imagine the impacts to pilots and owners in terms of scrutiny. I remember when I had to literally run to the airport from high school to paint my data plate on my Pacer because the FAA was letting themselves into all the hangars and writing up all aircraft that didn't have the prescribed data plate mandate executed. It was a joke, naturally, invoked by delusional politicians who fantasized it would help end the war on drugs the country was winning so handily in the 80's (end sarcasm).

Stunts like this can injure the essential trust that has to be maintained for GA to work at all in the US these days.

Toobuilder

Log Member
This is the kind of "publicity" he needs. The aviation world needs to be unified in the message that this is a level of reckless abandon that we don't condone. We have a bad enough image as it it. Hopefully it will motivate some people to contact his sponsors too (I did).

Turd Ferguson

when Marcus Schrenker jumped from his plane he was trying to fake his death so he didn't videotape it but he did tell ATC his windshield had imploded and he was bleeding to death. When they found the wreckage, no blood or imploded windshield. Do people ever think this though?? They leave clues everywhere.

BearHawk747

when Marcus Schrenker jumped from his plane he was trying to fake his death so he didn't videotape it but he did tell ATC his windshield had imploded and he was bleeding to death. When they found the wreckage, no blood or imploded windshield. Do people ever think this though?? They leave clues everywhere.
There's likely very little overlap between the people smart enough to pull off a stunt like this and the people stupid enough to do it.

Woofbite

The things social media-a-holics do for "likes"...even if it means willful destruction of property and potentially endangering people!

How is it said? Oh yeah:

Play Stupid Games...Win Stupid Prizes!

You be the judge.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If this is a repeat thread for this event, you can delete this thread!
ive never met the guy, havent watched any of his videos, and apparently a lot of people on here hate him. if he wasnt good at photography/video stuff, you probably wouldnt be able to see it/ judge. Glad he had a parachute. looks like something hes probably done before-that seems good. Good choice while flying over mountains. Those mountains looked like they were all over the place, and really hard. The plane wasnt hundreds of thousands of dollars-and You lose altitude really fast when Your mill isnt spinning. With all those instruments and no electric start(?), he probably figured his options pretty quick. So he made a decision while he had time to decide. After what he landed in, that looks to vindicate his choice for jumping. Or he just did it to piss everyone off? Either way, he seems to have succeeded. Would like to hear what the FAA figure out.

Lois

I remember when I had to literally run to the airport from high school to paint my data plate on my Pacer because the FAA was letting themselves into all the hangars and writing up all aircraft that didn't have the prescribed data plate mandate executed.
I hope this isn't perceived as a political post, it is meant as a comment on mental shortcomings.

Where do people who are so mis-wired as to believe that criminals-- a class of person DEFINED as someone who does not follow society's espoused rules-- will be deterred by the addition of yet another rule come from? Is our educational system really that bad?

A friend had an airplane (to conceal the friend's identity I'll say it was Commander 500, c/n 1, registered "N1AC"). Federal Marshals show up at his house one day: "where is your Commander?" they ask, not so nicely.

"At the airport," my friend says. (Like they thought maybe it was in the 20 x 20 garage?)

They read him his rights, put him in handcuffs, and drive him to the airport. There they take his keys open the hanger and lo-and-behold, there it is, N1AC. Well, this is confusing to the G-men. Seems there is a Commander 500, with a data plate that says c/n 1 and "N1AC" painted on its sides abandoned on a dirt road in the Southwestern desert. Some yutz forgot to put the gear down before landing.

Oh and there was residue from illicit drugs in the stripped out cabin... Surprise, surprise, surprise...

"How could this be," asked the clueless G-men?

"Maybe," my friend said, "because the FAA publishes for the whole frikin' world to see, the registration and serial number of every currently registered US aircraft, describing it by make and model (and full detail if you paid $5 back then) along with the owner's name and address." (Kinda like the State of California did to Rebecca Schaeffer.) "So if you are smuggling drugs, just look on the FAA website, find the same make and model, have someone engrave a blank plate, and paint the number on..."

The G-men did not appreciate this explanation. Drug smugglers are not supposed to forge...

That would be...

Illegal...

Last edited:

TFF

It’s sad he needs the attention. He placed 9 in snowboarding at the Sochi Olympics. He does other daredevil stuff. He just doesn’t have a name. Looking at his YouTube channel, he is only getting friend numbers for views. The only big one he had was about a person disaster. Everyone wants to make a living on YouTube. Famous for being famous.

I’m sure the person he bought the plane from is not happy. Who would think someone would destroy an airplane for the fun of it? Cheap plane is for, fun. A Cheap airplane sold by a 90 year old who has owned it for years thinks it’s being passed on to like minds. That is what happened to the other T destroyed. I knew that airplane. Walked under the wing many a time. It was still in his name when it was destroyed; because that kid destroyed it day one. Old friend is liquidating his stuff. He has a lot of stuff. He never expected that.

dwalker

ive never met the guy, havent watched any of his videos, and apparently a lot of people on here hate him. if he wasnt good at photography/video stuff, you probably wouldnt be able to see it/ judge.
I never heard of him before this video. I have no feelings for him one way or the other, but I do have strong feelings about faking emergencies.

Glad he had a parachute. looks like something hes probably done before-that seems good.
In this video he talks about how he always wears a parachute, but that in fact is a lie. I am not getting into the type of parachute etc. but here is the glaring thing- talking about how you always wear a parachute when YOU DO NOT prior to taking off from a flight where you crash, is a glaringly odd thing to do.

Good choice while flying over mountains. Those mountains looked like they were all over the place, and really hard.
So here again, he had a lot of choices when the engine quit. A lot. Does not Aviate- other than to slow the plane to a speed he can get the door open and safely jump, He does not Communicate- no radio calls, no squawk, no panicked call for help giving location for rescue. He does not Navigate- there is a dry creek bed RIGHT THERE in plain sight and easily reachable. At his altitude he could have made any number of safe landing locations, but he did not even TRY. From engine stop to bail out it was what, a minute?

The plane wasnt hundreds of thousands of dollars-and You lose altitude really fast when Your mill isnt spinning. With all those instruments and no electric start(?), he probably figured his options pretty quick. So he made a decision while he had time to decide. After what he landed in, that looks to vindicate his choice for jumping. Or he just did it to piss everyone off? Either way, he seems to have succeeded. Would like to hear what the FAA figure out.
The plane was not expensive, unlike the plane he had just flown in to that airport to get in the T-craft. Strange right? Get out of your fast, relatively modern plane and jump in a slow old bucket to continue cross country? Nothing weird about that. Oh and I read somewhere that when he got out of the plane he flew in to pick up the T-craft he was NOT wearing the chute. I hope pictures or video surfaces..

As mentioned above that T-craft could have easily glided 20 miles from the altitude he bailed out at. And of course there was the dry creek bed.. literally right there...

He made the decision before he ever got in that plane, and it is fairly apparent.

As far as motivation goes, try money. I know guys that have retired early because they make more money off of youtube videos. But, when the views slow down it hits you right in the wallet. Only so many times people are going to click in to watch another snowboard or STOL video. These guys have to do something to generate content that generates views, and sustain thier revenue. My guess is he has already made back the cost of the plane and more.

TFF

dwalker, picking the right plane. Radios are not required in E and G airspace. Squawking not required in D,E, and G. ELT can be inop if only one on board. Method.

Status
Not open for further replies.