• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Your SS Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Well, I have welded SS 321 and (I think) 317 with Oxy/Acet and my regular filler rod, held together very well but sure looked ugly!

I think you could probably do the job with a SS filler rod, and have it do pretty good.

The flame actually shields the metal from oxidation/reduction, if you are careful to use a neutral flame, not too much pinpoint.

I know that there are rods for welding SS - heck, people TIG it every day. Just try to clean the joints thoroughly and give it a try. You've already got the tanks, regulators, hose and torch, and a couple of rods ain't gonna set you back too much.

Having said that, people also weld aluminum with a torch - but I always heat it too much and wind up with holes. I think maybe I need to get different colored welding glasses!

Good luck!

Back