• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Youngest airplane builder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this talk lately about youth in aviation etc has me wondering, who here has heard about a kid under 18 who's building or built an airplane? Has that actually happened? I'm not talking about assembling, I mean scratch building from prints.

My 11 year old boy Henry has mentioned to me numerous times he'd like his own project, I just keep telling him to help me and we'll work together. I'm beginning to think I should cut him loose a little and give him a project, like a rudder or something. He can weld, not good enough for aircraft work but getting closer as time passes.

Wood might be good for a boy, I'd need to make the power cuts.

I guess I'm just kinda curious if anyone has input. I know kids in their 20's have done it. Makes me wonder if I should just set him up in the corner and let him work on it. He takes instruction well and is incredibly mechanicallyinclined.

Back