Yet another new solar cell technology

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

I wasn't sure which area to post this in, it looks like it could be used on the top surface of a wing so maybe used as a "sustainer" for a sailplane .https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2018/02/03/a-new-type-of-solar-cell-is-coming-to-market

dog

I live off grid with solar pv and my truck (only veihicle)has no alternator,just a couple of solar pv panels. The truck is my test bed for a possible aircraft solar power install. The truck motor is not electricaly dependant, just needs power to start,lights and heater fan. Has been installed almost two years in Canada.

There are many "flexible" solar panels which are surprisingly light with potential as a structural component if laminated. "Sunsolar" from california makes panels that are built on very thin stainless and are capable of producing custom sizes. Many other similar options all over the world. Prices seem to be a couple of bucks a watt.

Also options for starter batteries useing cappacitor batteries,expensive,lower power density, but light with huge current on tap. Also lithium titanate batteries while low power density have a very long life and are tough,and dont catch fire. Non of the current products are going to run a certified vfr ship,but for smaller aircraft with modest power needs everything to build a light robust pv based power system is here now.

I spend part of each day down this particular rabbit hole

Last edited by a moderator:

dog

Dodge cummins,with mechanical pumps and mechanical fuel shut off on the injection pump. solar pv charges two lead acid batterys,one is used just for starting,including air heater for cold weather starting,and the second battery is a deep cycle gell that is used for lights,fans,and amenities. The wireing harness has been slightly modified and the lights are LED. Currently researching flexible solar panels and a wide varity of batteries in order to add enough power to run tools like 15 to 30 amps at 120v ac. Circular saw,small table saw,chargers.

House and shop are off grid as well.

John.Roo

I wasn't sure which area to post this in, it looks like it could be used on the top surface of a wing so maybe used as a "sustainer" for a sailplane .https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2018/02/03/a-new-type-of-solar-cell-is-coming-to-market
Hello!
Is not that easy to use solar panel as energy source for airplane. Even for efficient airplanes like gliders. But "not easy", doesn´t means "impossible " :)

Here is a list of actually most efficient solar panels.
Best are bit over 22%. Sun will give you 1 kW / m2 of energy during sunny day.
So you can easily imagine how big wing area you need :)

Best regards!
Martin

Sockmonkey

dodge cummins,with mechanical pumps and mechanical fuel shut off on the injection pump.
solar pv charges two lead acid batterys,one is
used just for starting,including air heater for cold
weather starting,and the second battery is a deep cycle gell that is used for lights,fans,and amenities.
The wireing harness has been slightly modified and the lights are LED.
Currently researching flexible solar panels and
a wide varity of batteries in order to add enough
power to run tools like 15 to 30 amps at 120v ac.
Circular saw,small table saw,chargers.
House and shop are off grid as well.
You know what would pretty nifty for an off-grid shop? A wind turbine driving an aircompressor to fill a bunch of tanks for air powered tools.

dog

Wind powered air compresor is an interesting idea,it would have to be built like the old water pumping wind mills,lots of blades, as the starting torque is so high.If everything was matched up right the air pressure in the tank could work as a self governing system to prevent overspeed in storm conditions. Though personaly I will go with a small electric compressor and a huge air tank.

The new solar charge controllers can be programed to allow surplus power to be redirected to secondary loads when battery charging and other primary loads are satisfied. Most people are preheating water for a propane demand heater this way,but with solar panels getting so affordable,it makes sense
to just keep adding capicity and go all electric. Reading all the fine print about flexible solar panels,there are at least three main types and then diferences in format and material choices. Idealy any solar panel that is going on a small plane would work as a structural component,and using adhesive to attach the flexible panels is an option mentioned by the manufacturers.

Sockmonkey

Wind powered air compresor is an interesting idea,it would have to be built like the old water
pumping wind mills,lots of blades, as the starting torque is so high.If everything was matched up right the air pressure in the tank could work as a self governing system to prevent overspeed in storm conditions.
Though personaly I will go with a small electric
compressor and a huge air tank.
The new solar charge controllers can be programed to allow surplus power to be redirected to secondary loads when battery charging and other primary loads are satisfied.
Most people are preheating water for a propane demand heater this way,but with solar panels getting so affordable,it makes sense
to just keep adding capicity and go all electric.
Reading all the fine print about flexible solar panels,there are at least three main types and then diferences in format and material choices.
Idealy any solar panel that is going on a small plane would work as a structural component,and
useing adhesive to attach the flexible panels is an option mentioned by the manufacturers.
Well for filling the tank I'd use a very small compressor that the turbine could easily turn.
It's running on and off 24/7 so it doesn't have to particularly fast.
A little centrifugal clutch will let it get up speed before engaging.
Vertical turbines are an easier build than windmill types.

Anyhow, for emergency backup, you might want to look into Stirling engines. Their power to weight ratio sucks but they're simple and run on anything that burns.

henryk

Sockmonkey

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This type has low start up torque but with high rpm's Each type has different characteristics. Not good in lower wind conditions.

dog

Wind is hard.
Continious duty,constantly varying force, instantaniously shifting angle of attack,iceing.
I do have a Bergy 10kw project with a 60' monopole tower.Big.Generator is #1100lbs.
Though my attention has been grabbed by the
control mixer mentioned in another thread on
flaps or flaperons,the discription of the mixed control surfaces in action and video of the
mechanism are excellent.
Very very interested in that,wind power air compressor,nope.More PV,yup,going from
3.5 kw currently to 10 kw so that I have full
power even in the cloudy short days of mid
winter at the 45th parallel.