Yet Another Airborne Camper

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

What about the ECO Flyer? I saw it at either Oshkosh or Sun N Fun. Maybe a long time ago but now that I'm 64(sounds like a Beatles tune, if young google it).If I found I could have collected or swap engines like on my Ford and Ram I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. Was probably a great idea but might have gone by wayside. After all only about half a million pilots in US and subtract the heavy iron commercial guys you are better off in the boat or RV field. Can see much more product.
When I saw pictures of this plane I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately it along with the owner didn't make it back home.

Bill-Higdon

I had forgotten about the Explorer Ecoflyer and it’s terrible that a crash on the way back from Sun-n-Fun was the end of both the owner and the company.

View attachment 117868

That is exactly the sort of thing I was describing, an LSA with an unusually voluminous aft cabin to serve as a ready made hard tent.

I could even see rigging a simple Volksplane-type bench seat with a reversible backrest like the cooler seat on a boat to serve as cockpit seats facing forward or dinette facing aft.
Looks like a convential monoplane version of the Crosses Para cargo

cluttonfred

In all seriousness, it’s not hard to imagine a simple low-wing monoplane (cleaner than a Volksplane) with an airfoil-shaped (flat-bottom teardrop-shaped) fuselage 4’ 6” wide at and behind the cockpit though it could still taper somewhat if you accept a marine V-berth arrangement in the aft fuselage.

Give it tricycle gear so it sits level at rest and a reasonable amount of power, maybe an Aeromomentum AM13 (100 hp) with a ground-adjustable prop.

The bulky fuselage might blank the tail at high AOA or in a spin, so this could be a time to use twin tails like an Ercoupe or a Broussard.

You’d end up with a spacious, comfortable, but slow two-seater perfectly capable for weekend fun flying with the added benefit of serving as a flying camper when you want to spend the night.

The key to success would be to keep the aerodynamics of the fuselage clean enough and the look acceptable enough that you don’t feel too put out by the extra fuselage volume when you’re just putting around.

And just for fun, here's the Volksplane version....

View attachment 117884

llemon

A scaled down Wilson Global Explorer would do the trick. If more space is needed when on water, maybe have some big side doors and a tent that erects around the sponson.

rv7charlie

In all seriousness, it’s not hard to imagine a simple low-wing monoplane (cleaner than a Volksplane) with an airfoil-shaped (flat-bottom teardrop-shaped) fuselage 4’ 6” wide at and behind the cockpit though it could still taper somewhat if you accept a marine V-berth arrangement in the aft fuselage.
You mean, a larger version of this?

rv7charlie

I figured that the Facetmobile wasn't what you meant, but I'll bet that the FMX7 Barnaby is building now will have the internal volume needed for a small camper. A 4 seat version might have enough volume for 'glamping'.
;-)

blane.c

Give it tricycle gear so it sits level at rest and a reasonable amount of power, maybe an Aeromomentum AM13 (100 hp) with a ground-adjustable prop.

The bulky fuselage might blank the tail at high AOA or in a spin, so this could be a time to use twin tails like an Ercoupe or a Broussard.

You’d end up with a spacious, comfortable, but slow two-seater perfectly capable for weekend fun flying with the added benefit of serving as a flying camper when you want to spend the night.

The key to success would be to keep the aerodynamics of the fuselage clean enough and the look acceptable enough that you don’t feel too put out by the extra fuselage volume when you’re just putting around.
The
Nenadović biplane
Don't forget, it'll reduce wingspan.

Pops

Log Member
I made the seats of my Bearhawk fold down to make a bed. A 3 legged stand that folded up for the tailwheel to make the floor somewhat level. Had the 2 side cargo doors. There is another Bearhawk that has fold down seats with the builders wife and 2 young children sleeping in it. Wife and 2 children sleeps on the fold down seats and husband sleeps in a hammock that attaches behind the right windshield corner to the top rear of the left cargo area.

Last edited: