Yesterday, the last flying Hawker Hurricane Mk. IV crashed in Flying days in Cheb

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Kyle Boatright

Supporting Member
Not sure about restricting fighters to flying gently

In this crash, I'd argue that the airplane was being flown gently in the segment where the pilot lost control and crashed. Sure, people crash aircraft doing aerobatics, but far more get bent in normal operations due to pilot error, weather, or mechanical failure. The last 3 B-17's that we've lost were all lost due to one form or another of mechanical failure.

Steve C

Sure seemed to be maneuvering with low energy. None of the warbird routines I've seen looked that sketchy. Usually they climb a couple thousand feet after a pass.

ZacYates

Does anyone know what the pilot’s flying background was?
From a post on the European Airshows Facebook page:
Passionate about flying Petr Pačes started flying gliders at the age of 14 before moving onto powered aircraft three years later. After school, he flew as a Mig-21 fighter pilot until 1992, leaving the army to join Air Traffic Control. Almost twenty years ago, he started flying the Boeing 737 airliners. He has also often displayed historic aircraft sharing his love for flying with thousands of people each year.

Leslloyd

Would the low cloud be a factor,the routine looked very tight to me.Maybe with cloud about they revert to a much less vigorous flight,say max bank 45deg,and space it out,and accept it's only going to be 80% as exciting to watch.My guess is most people are just happy to see these old war birds and don't require 10/10% action.Somethings got to be done as this just keeps on happening,over and over,enough warnings,one of these down in the spectators will be unforgivable.