Yesterday, the last flying Hawker Hurricane Mk. IV crashed in Flying days in Cheb

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Shayde

Pilot dead. :confused: It looks like he screwed up the pull-out from a loop, but the report says he was a very experienced pilot, so... mechanical fault?

Hawk81A

Quite a few ''experienced" airshow pilots have "bought the farm" the same way. You keep tempting fate, sooner or later... It seems to especially happen with the low level loops. Dennis

Kyle Boatright

Supporting Member
Pilot dead. :confused: It looks like he screwed up the pull-out from a loop, but the report says he was a very experienced pilot, so... mechanical fault?

I think it was supposed to be a wingover - a relatively simple, safe maneuver. He got slow, pulled too hard, dropped a wing and found himself pseudo inverted, then tried to pull through to safety. He didn't have the altitude or airspeed to make that work.

Very sad.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it was supposed to be a wingover - a relatively simple, safe maneuver. He got slow, pulled too hard, dropped a wing and found himself pseudo inverted, then tried to pull through to safety. He didn't have the altitude or airspeed to make that work.

Very sad.
Looks to me like an attempt at a half reverse Cuban with insufficient altitude, sad. RIP.

Reactions: BJC

Kyle Boatright

Supporting Member
Looks to me like an attempt at a half reverse Cuban with insufficient altitude, sad. RIP.

Don't think so, but he's the only one who really knows. My take was that he was at the end of the show box and was doing a low energy reversal (a wingover turn) to keep the show tight to the crowd. Depending on which video you watch, you can see a wing drop which takes him from a 90 degree bank to >100 degrees, and it looks like he tries to pull through from there, with a couple of tip stalls thrown in as he tries to pull enough G's to avoid the ground.

Shayde

Don't think so, but he's the only one who really knows. My take was that he was at the end of the show box and was doing a low energy reversal (a wingover turn) to keep the show tight to the crowd. Depending on which video you watch, you can see a wing drop which takes him from a 90 degree bank to >100 degrees, and it looks like he tries to pull through from there, with a couple of tip stalls thrown in as he tries to pull enough G's to avoid the ground.

Yes, this video shows what happened better:

It does appear to be pilot error.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, this video shows what happened better:

It does appear to be pilot error.

OK, I agree. not a half Cuban. Accelerated stall? It's hard to judge the speed, not that I know the speeds in that plane anyway.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
Begs the question: why doing quite hard acro-manoeuvres with airplanes 60-70 years old , flown by airshow -pilots which have but limited time on the aircraft?

On the other hand: the airplane was designed for that and -I guess- the airshow acro is still easier on the airframe than real combat.

There is a freshly built/ restored Fokker fighter (16000 Hr of documented labor) in the North of Holland to be "rentabilised" by airshow-appearances. Beats me how the economics work out but then it is also some kind of demonstrator for the shop who did the rebuild and there is the more than inkling feeling they do not pay the same for labor, parts and revisions than they charge their customers.
As the Fokker is rebuild/supervised by the (now retired) founder, his son does not want to fly it and as such they hire a UK test-pilot.

To the Polish pilot / Hawker Hurricane: how quickly a nice day in the office can turn sour.

radfordc

He looked very slow at the top of all his reversal maneuvers. On the last one he pulled too much and the right wing stalled. Then he tried to recover and the left wing stalled followed by the right wing again.

I once stalled my Eindecker at low altitude inadvertently and ended up in a vertical descent. I knew I had to be very exact in the pull out to avoid an accelerated stall.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
He fell out of the turn. The turn was the initiation. Airplane slows in the turn and pilot pulls the stick and can’t see the angle of attack increasing while banked. The stick back position is same as angle of attack.

radfordc

On the previous reversal he turned left away from the crowd. Next time he turned right toward the crowd line which may have caused him to try to rush the turn to avoid overflying the show line.

Riggerrob

"Begs the question: why doing quite hard acro-manoeuvres with airplanes 60-70 years old , flown by airshow -pilots which have but limited time on the aircraft? ... "

Perhaps those rare antiques should be limited to gentle fly-bys and sedate wing-overs. Leave the inverted aerobatics to the young pups in their bespoke Pitts and Extras.

Chilton

Not sure about restricting fighters to flying gently, it would be a shame not to see them flown properly and with spirit. Not many actually have any original parts left anyway!
I remember when there was only one airworthy Hurricane in the world, the BBMF here on the UK had 2 and lost one to an engine issue enroute to Jersey Air Display in the late 90s. I was at the show with a Rapide, and we heard the story from the other BBMF crew when only the Lanc and Spitfire arrived. The Hurricane pretty much burned out but has now been fully rebuilt, as I suspect the Mk 4 will be. As long as the data plate survived it can be resurrected!