Yay! I'm approved!!

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by PTAirco, Jul 3, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 3, 2013 #1

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

So I let my EAA membership lapse after many, many years. I needed some varnish more right now than Sport Aviation magazine. I'll probably re-join whenever I feel like it.

Happily, today in the mail I got a big brown envelope with the word "Approved!" stamped all over it! I have been approved to join!! Boy, I am so glad the EAA has carefully considered my background and no doubt thoroughly investigated me and found me suitable to be a member of this illustrious organization. "You're in as a member of EAA!"
    I didn't even have to pass any exams, physicals or have a credit check done. I'm in!

Frankly, I find this kind of marketing exceedingly silly.

2. Jul 3, 2013 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I just got mine too... all I have to do is fill out the form and send my dues. They seemed to have overlooked my normal renewal which was completed about 5 months ago. ;)

3. Jul 3, 2013 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Now I feel a bit like a second class citizen. I'm good enough that the AOPA wants to associate with me and Sporty's never forgets. But the EAA just tosses me aside like an out of date sectional. Haven't heard from them in years. :lex:

4. Jul 4, 2013 #4

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

I have no doubt mine is in the mail, unless their database doesn't go back more than a few years. And yes, this kind of marketing is silly, and that's coming from someone in marketing...

5. Jul 4, 2013 #5

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Don't feel bad - it is a very exclusive club and not everyone makes the grade.

bmcj likes this.
  6. Jul 4, 2013 #6

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Yeah, but did they send you the shiny stickers? That's when you know you've arrived.

bmcj likes this.
  7. Jul 4, 2013 #7

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Apparently, they seem to have forgotten all the emails I sent to them explaining why I let my membership lapse in the first place, because I'm "approved" again too. And I even got the shiny stickers!

Still not interested, however.

8. Jul 5, 2013 #8

Monty

Monty

Monty

Yeah....I'm approved too.

My money goes to AOPA.

EAA is not "approved"

The 6th grade reading level was too much for me....

Sad....

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

I have recently been debating on renewing my EAA membership and am currently on the fence with this issue. I do get frustrated with the direction that I am seeing with the organization and I do not get too excited with the publication when I have to skip the first 100 pages in order to get to any useful homebuilt aircraft information. I am also an AOPA member and Sport Aviation appears that it would be more suited to the AOPA crowd with all the advertisements and articles that are more focused on flying the typical Beechcraft, Cessna or Piper type aircraft.

i really miss the old Experimenter magazine from years past.

Terry

bmcj, BBerson and Topaz like this.
  10. Jul 7, 2013 #10

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

AOPA can bite me! They are the pushiest, rudest, insistent on joining organization I've ever dealt with. No sooner than I got back in the cockpit back in 09, I started getting their " why you need us letters", etc. The phone calls attempting to get me to join came soon thereafter. My numerous "I'm not interested" responses seem to fall on deaf ears. So finally one day I got a call from one of their drones and I let her have it. I know it wasn't her fault but you know what you just get sick of things sometimes and you have to take it out on somebody, so it might as well be one of their drones, since the head honcho isn't going to call. Well it must've worked because they don't call or send me stuff anymore. Why do I need them, why? I got along just fine without them for years, I can do so now too.

11. Jul 7, 2013 #11

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I do feel that these organizations have an important role to play for all of us, whether you fly ultralights or King Airs. We do need a voice and it's AOPA and EAA that give us the most political clout. I'm not happy with the way either of them are run, but if I wasn't watching every penny right now, I'd ignore their shortcomings and support them despite my qualms.

National Geographic though gets the prize for pestering lapsed subscribers: I think I once subscribed for a year, about a decade ago. I still get a constant flow of letters from them. Not very "eco" if you ask me.

12. Jul 8, 2013 #12

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I can understand you're point but I'll give you an example of AOPA not having the clout or voice to get something done. The FAA proposed changing the class B airspace of Philadelphia international airport. I even went to a meeting regarding this, and listened to AOPA members spout off to the FAA reps how their organization was lobbying the FAA for this and lobby for that, and guess what, the FAA ignored them 100% and now as of July 25th the new class B will take effect. Now there will be a 4000' class B shelf right on our airport's (N57) doorstep. So this talk of voices, and clout is pure BS. Orgs like AOPA, EAA, etc will do it without my support. They have nothing to offer me.

13. Jul 8, 2013 #13

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

AGREE 100%

Any voice of representation is better than none.

Sadly, I think once the FAA has put forth a NPRM, it has already been decided despite what arguments might come forth. Granted, I have seen a few exceptions where the NPRM has been dropped or modified, but for the most part, NPRM's might as well be set in stone.

I attended meetings in Southern California where the FAA was seeking public input for a proposed airspace change. The meetings were all heavily attended and the overwhelming response from everyone in attendance was that it was a bad idea and decreased safety. This was not just pilots calling for the FAA to drop the proposed rule... many many groups were all outspoken against the rule, including the pilots, the flight schools and FBO's, the airports and cities, the military, the airlines and commercial carriers, flight instructors, the air traffic controllers and their unions, and even many FAA staffers. It did not make a difference... the rule took effect as written and on schedule.

BBerson and Topaz like this.
  14. Jul 8, 2013 #14

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

That's my impression as well. In the last few years, the NPRM seems to be more of a pro-forma process than any actual attempt to obtain genuine feedback from the community.

15. Jul 8, 2013 #15

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

Agreed. Many of the pilots including myself believe wholeheartedly that the meetings the FAA put on were nothing but a smoke and mirrors campaign to appease the public with the falsehood of gathering public input. In reality the ball had already begun rolling and the public's collective opinions were not even going to be considered.......

16. Nov 19, 2013 #16

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Ok....now I am frustrated. I got the renewal form in the mail a few weeks ago and this past weekend I went on-line to renew only to to get a message in red letters saying that my Membership cannot be renewed and a reference to a toll-free number to call. I found the email address for membership/renewal issues and asked why I was getting the message. Late today I received a courteous email with a link for renewal....and guess what?...... I got the same message in red letters saying that my membership could not be renewed. So, now I am seriously considering dropping my membership after nearly 26 years. I know I could probably just pick up the phone and give them a call......and that is probably what I will end up doing since I want access to the archived information much more than the current Sport Aviation that puts nearly all the useful information in the pages starting near or after page 100.

I am learning that at age 55 I am getting less tolerant of a few things......and I kind of like it.

Terry

17. Nov 19, 2013 #17

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Hard to pass a deal like that. And if you act now, you get a magazine with an editor who has claimed to be the best editor Flying magazine has ever had, expounding on such topics as stick shakers for Cessna 150's, FOQA and LOSA programs for recreational flyers and other absurdities.

18. Nov 19, 2013 #18

Pops

Pops

Pops

I had been an EAA member since 1974 until I think it was 2003 and couldn't take it any more. I had a collection of every issue of their mag from 1960 to 2003 and gave them away. Went to OSH every year for a long time. They called me and ask why I didn't renew. I'm sure they didn't like what I told them. Dan