Yamaha Snowmobile engine conversion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bill-Higdon

Here's a thread on a French Yamaha YG3 aircraft engine, AFIK it's flying in a Dragonfly.

cblink.007

Here's a thread on a French Yamaha YG3 aircraft engine, AFIK it's flying in a Dragonfly.
I have recently been reading alot about the Yamaya RX1 & Apex conversions, and very successful applications so far.

I spoke to the folks at Mohawk Aero Craft. More power, more torque, slightly lighter and better fuel efficiency than a Rotax 912....and offered at $10k! Is there a catch?

I am personally looking for legit feedback on these engines. I want to know more, and see if it would be a genuine alternative for my design!

Marc W

Have you been to the "Yamaha Aircraft Conversions" group on Facebook? There is a lot of information there from folks who have done successful conversions. Mohawk does not have the best reputation in the business.

cblink.007

Mohawk does not have the best reputation in the business
How so? Just curious. Who is the best one in your opinion?

Engine selection is critical, and we want to make the best choice!

We will take a look at the FB page...thx!

JohnB

HBA Supporter
what airframe is the engine planned for?, I'm at 54T (RWJ Airpark) and putting one (APEX) in a 701. Got lots of info, gimme a note if you like and we'll chat JB

TarDevil

By appearances it seems the Yamaha is becoming not just viable but the better solution for certain lightweight power applications. Some good minds are packaging systems (Props, PSRU, Exhaust). Are we overdue for a dedicated Yamaha Discussion area?

cblink.007

By appearances it seems the Yamaha is becoming not just viable but the better solution for certain lightweight power applications. Some good minds are packaging systems (Props, PSRU, Exhaust). Are we overdue for a dedicated Yamaha Discussion area?
I think so... I keep hearing nothing but great things.

This is the data sheet provided to me from Mohawk Aero:

Attachments

cblink.007

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here either have CAD drawings of this engine and the mount?

Does not need to be super detailed; 2D is fine...and good enough to plot structural mounting points and figure out bodywork shaping & clearancing!

Also, what dimentions are you guys looking at for the radiator(s)? I'd like to figure out where to place it...and work some induction & cooling drag numbers!

Thanks, gents!