Yamaha Motor Corp FIRST FLIGHT! ShinMaywa built Airplane

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pylon500

So, just watched the video, made the following comment;
While I hope more will come out of this, there's lots of little bits that don't add up...
Only thing worse than a two cylinder four stroke would be a single cylinder four stroke, so many vibration problems. Everyone else using Yamaha motors are using the three and four cylinder motors. As for the airframe, it's obviously a 'tweaked' Rans kit.
So the question begs; was this just a group of guys from Yamaha and ShinMaywa using some R&D money to have a bit of flying fun, or is this combination a bit of a red herring to distract from a real project with a better designed three cylinder motor with integral gearbox, fitted to a better designed airframe that will perform better, and can be left outside, but not as complex and compromised as the Skycatcher was.
To clarify, much of this was discussed earlier this year..New motor, and as mentioned there, it may be Yamaha is looking to step into the Rotax 582 position, rather than replace the 912 series (yet...)

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
The Dornier has its charm, but the newer Japanese boats are true high performance STOL machines. You could totally one-up Jimmy Buffet and his Albatross flying yacht with one of these!

Shin Maywa US-1 is the modern version of the Shin Meiwa PS-1, which is itself the direct descendant of the Kawanishi flying boats from WW2. They're genuine bad-ass heavy duty machines too, I read that they're capable of operating in much a more severe sea state than any other flying boat.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Getting back to homebuilts, the Rans-like ultralight is not very exciting but I would love to learn more about that Yamaha motor, see some specs, etc. Is it just a one-off project or are they thinking of competing with Rotax?

Bill-Higdon

The Dornier has its charm, but the newer Japanese boats are true high performance STOL machines. You could totally one-up Jimmy Buffet and his Albatross flying yacht with one of these!

Shin Maywa US-1 is the modern version of the Shin Meiwa PS-1, which is itself the direct descendant of the Kawanishi flying boats from WW2. They're genuine bad-ass heavy duty machines too, I read that they're capable of operating in much a more severe sea state than any other flying boat.
Well given that Shin Maywa is a partner in this project who knows what lurks in the hearts of mortal men

billyvray

The engine they used is out of the Phazer snowmobile. It is an engine based on their sportbike tech like the Apex engines. It is a light weight high rpm engine. It is on par size and weight wise with a 582. It looks like they used or copied a Skytrax gearbox also.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
OK, so now I REALLY want one of those flying boats! Can you imagine what one of those things could accomplish as a working seaplane up in Alaska?

Those classic old-school Pathe' newsreel and documentary film announcers, with their sharp edge delivery conveying an overwrought sense of importance and immediacy.... they just don't make 'em like that any more :)

(sorry for dragging this off topic Matthew, I know it's supposed to be about the little RANS clone)