Quantcast

Yamaha Apex internal gear reduction.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Ally Wilke

Briggs and Stratton was a bust.It was just a shipping warehouse full of unhappy employees.Found some interesting crank rods Youtube.https://youtube.com/shorts/YFw3MbzI9Ow

Ally Wilke

I am partial to diesel engines.They would eliminate the need for dual spark ignition and by nature are lower rpm engines.😃

Ally Wilke

This radial is not a diesel,but radials fit aircraft really nice.https://youtu.be/SyRJeZ6s8uM A radial diesel would be awesome!

Ally Wilke

"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" is a great book that I highly recommend.
Lived it.I have been in many situations where what looked good on paper to an engineer did not work in real life.Never trust an engineer who does not have grease under their fingernails.

Ally Wilke

So far the Apex engine is beating all other alternatives.Power to weight and cost being the most important to me.Looks like I am going to end up with a sled and a jetski.I.can at least have some fun on them before they give up their engines.Time to talk with some machinists I know and see what we can do.

rv7charlie

Lived it.I have been in many situations where what looked good on paper to an engineer did not work in real life.Never trust an engineer who does not have grease under their fingernails.
I suspect that the Tom Sawyer reference wasn't about *mechanical* engineering, but...

;-)

Ally Wilke

Well it must be really stupid because I do not get the reference.Care to explain?Because I am not into social anything

rv7charlie

You really should read the book, and not just to get that single reference. It's one of the greatest works of American literature. I probably read it 5 times by the time I was 20 years old; I felt like I knew it better than my literature teacher, when I was finally required to read it.

(If you refuse to read it, at least look up the 'whitewashing the fence' reference.

edit: Not getting the reference doesn't mean you're stupid, but it might indicate that you had stupid teachers....

TFF

Social engineering is being bread to be in a certain class. Only taught enough for you to fit into your piece of the puzzle. Slavery is the extreme. Huckleberry Finn is the masterpiece.

rv7charlie

Well, that might be an extreme view, or at least version, of it. Certainly not what I assumed that Richard meant. And the actual definition is a bit stretched, even in the context that I meant it. (And I think you need to remove an 'a', for that post to make any sense. ;-) )
Social Engineering

Richard Schubert

Sorry, it was maybe a little bit of a cheap shot, I was just trying to be funny. It seems lately that humor will be going the way of the Dodo.

In my mind I was seeing a wily older engineer and a younger enthusiastic guy, and how that might play out.

Sadly, everyone I know is wise to these tricks and I have to pay the lawnmower repairman to fix my mower if I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Although changing a spark plug might be a small price to pay for the wisdom I might impart. ;)

Last edited:

Ally Wilke

Sorry, it was maybe a little bit of a cheap shot, I was just trying to be funny. It seems lately that humor will be going the way of the Dodo.

In my mind I was seeing a wily older engineer and a younger enthusiastic guy, and how that might play out.

Sadly, everyone I know is wise to these tricks and I have to pay the lawnmower repairman to fix my mower if I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Although changing a spark plug might be a small price to pay for the wisdom I might impart. ;)
I read book way back in the day long before we had remote control tv and the internet.It was so long ago it wwould probably be new again.lols.

Ally Wilke

Refridgeration engines on refrigeration semi trailers are 100 hp and run on diesel.They are a V twin design.I always though one would work great in a motorcycle.I have had some that where in excess of 44,000 hrs.They do have a huge base plate on the bottom of the engine that would need to be machined off.I will have to look up their weight and rpm.

slociviccoupe

Ally Wilke, last refrigeration unit i worked on and prety stsndard are the kubota 4 cylinder diesels. And they are tanks. Cast iron everything.
Now thdte is a small 2 and 3 cylinder kubota used in the apu of a semi that runs an alternator, a/c compressor and runs its coolant through the semi engine block to keep it warm. Also gives you cabin heat. But they are no more than 40hp and also all iron and heavy.

Ally Wilke

Ally Wilke, last refrigeration unit i worked on and prety stsndard are the kubota 4 cylinder diesels. And they are tanks. Cast iron everything.
Now thdte is a small 2 and 3 cylinder kubota used in the apu of a semi that runs an alternator, a/c compressor and runs its coolant through the semi engine block to keep it warm. Also gives you cabin heat. But they are no more than 40hp and also all iron and heavy.
I was just checking some out.They are so heavy they should not be on a semi lols.