Yahoo groups shutting down

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Hot Wings, Oct 16, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. Oct 16, 2019 #1

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I got this in my e-mail from one of the Yahoo groups I follow:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

Looks like there is only a small window of time left to get things transferred to a new group site. I didn't get a notice from Yahoo, as a group owner, that this was going to happen so I'm pretty sure there are several other group owners that also don't know about this. So......

If you are a member of a Yahoo group you might want to let the owner know that they should be looking for another option soon.

Thanks to FritzW's find I migrated my Yahoo group to GroupsIO a few months ago. The process was pretty easy and the site seems to work well.

https://groups.io/groups

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    Matt D Murdoch likes this.
  2. Oct 17, 2019 #2

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

This is pretty tragic. Everything tailwind, Stinson, and DA2a is on there. It’s going to be a huge loss.

Topaz likes this.
  3. Oct 17, 2019 #3

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully they can all find new hosting. For some types, a Yahoo Group is all that's left of the support system.

4. Oct 17, 2019 #4

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Wonder if waybackmachine or others is doing a wholesale backup... I hope so...

5. Oct 17, 2019 #5

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tough news. The silver lining is that some groups, the ones that make the jump, may now transition to a much better environment. It would be tough to make things worse than Yahoo groups has become.

6. Oct 17, 2019 #6

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I've been told that a site named Groups.IO has an automated process to transfer Yahoo groups and their files to their own system.

Step 1: invite transfer@groups.io to join the Yahoo group.
    Step 2: Make transfer@groups.io to be a moderator (they say you can uncheck all moderator privileges).
    Step 3: Go to the transfer page (https://groups.io/edittransfer?transfer=5593) when ready. You'll need an account there.

Questions to support@groups.io.

I haven't done this process yet, but the instructions were given for another group. I'm not sure of the security ramifications on this.

Ron Wanttaja

7. Oct 17, 2019 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

Tailwind guys have a test page. We will see if they get the data on. They might exceed the maximum space for free storage.

8. Oct 17, 2019 #8

PagoBay

PagoBay

PagoBay

Seen a yahoo group I am in as a member transferred by the moderator to groups.io. All the many past years intact.

9. Oct 17, 2019 #9

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Groups.io requires a one-year premium subscription to do the transfer. That's $110.

Wanttaja likes this.
  10. Oct 17, 2019 #10

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

I've done this for my Yahoo group and the process was pretty easy, but the staff seemed to be somewhat busy and it took a week or so before they worked their way through the pile of transfers. I suspect it will be even worse now so if you are planning on doing this you probably need to get it done so the transfer goes through before Yahoo deletes the data. I did my transfer a few months ago, well before this announcement, so the rush is ON!!

The $110 shouldn't be much of a problem, and it sure was a lot more user friendly than the software I tried on my own to copy the data. The biggest problem for some of the groups is going to be that the owner is no longer around or isn't interested in doing the transfer. Bob Hoovers "chuggers" site come to mind. fortunately the process can be started by anyone with enough group privileges to give GroupsIO moderator status.

Once the transfer is started a very prominent post should be made on the original site that this process is under way. Once the new site is up and running the first few posts will generate some member deletions due to them, or their SPAM bot software, marking the new posts as SPAM. GroupsIO software then deletes the members subscription. This isn't all bad since it weeds out some of the inactive member links.

There are more features to GroupIO than Yahoo and there will be a slight learning curve for the members, similar to what we just went through here opn HBA. IMHO the effort will be worth it.

Vigilant1 likes this.
  11. Oct 29, 2019 #11

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Hiho, all. I am not around much, wrapped up in other things these days, but I am getting a lot of traffic on this topic from the various Yahoo! Groups subscriptions I have had for many years.

Here's an idea...what about setting up a sub-forum like "Specialty Areas" (or perhaps a sub-sub-forum under "Specialty Areas") for "Homebuilt Aircraft Small Communities"? The goal would *not* be to host old content, simply to provide a welcoming space for small communities orphaned by the Yahoo! shutdown that did not make the transition to groups.io for whatever reason. By "small communities" I mean folks building old or exotic designs that do not have their own forums elsewhere (so not RVs, or Rutan designs, or other large active groups).

Matt D Murdoch and billyvray like this.