Xploair -New French design VTOL personal aircraft.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Aircar, Oct 16, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Just looked up this somewhat radical French PAV VTOL etc and thought some European HBAers might know some recent history and possibly update where it is now.

http://www.xplorair.com/EN/concept_xplorair.html

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4FNXvF9kQ

there are a number of other on line sites -- the designer is an experienced French aerospace industry engineer it appears and has several associates and apparent backing from some big names (eg Dassault ) Clearly he is not fazed by the vagaries of powered lift ..

2. Oct 16, 2013 #2

oriol

oriol

oriol

According to the video they are planning to have a real airplane flying for 2050.

I don´t think that many investors will be predisposed to give the quantity of money required to develop their engine if the revenues are expected to be obtained in such a long term. Add to that all the other technical challenges that also need to be overcome wich too represent a considerable investment: noise, user interface, engine failure, operating cost...

Oriol

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    BBerson likes this.
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #3

Himat

Himat

Himat

Interesting!

But is it only me that find that the “Thermoreactors” look like a development of the pulse jet engine?

And combined with “TermoCompressor” it looks very similar to an advanced “pressure jet” set up?

4. Oct 16, 2013 #4

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

"TOLWIR", Wow, all this time I thought it was "VTOL". I stand corrected. :gig:

TOLWIR = TAKE OFF AND LANDING WITHOUT ROLLING

BBerson likes this.
  5. Oct 16, 2013 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Moderator Note: I moved this over to "Hangar Flying", since the thread doesn't discuss a specific aircraft design issue. The project at question certainly does involve some new technologies, but we're trying to move the "Aircraft Design" topic away from being the catch-all topic it's been turning into, and get it back to being more focused on specific aircraft-design-related discussions. Posts like this one about interesting new directions and proposed aircraft are always welcome on HBA, but let's put them into "Hangar Flying", which is more like what we'd be doing if we were talking about these ideas face-to-face over a beer, if only for that danged geography! :)

Personal Note: Ross - Get in touch with Alan, if you would. He's been trying to reach you and your PM inbox is full so you're not receiving his messages. The mods don't have the ability to delete the excess, and we wouldn't want make that judgement call on your inbox at any rate.

6. Oct 16, 2013 #6

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Pulse jets are incredibly noisy.

7. Oct 18, 2013 #7

Aircar

Aircar

Aircar

Banned

Thanks Topaz, I have been deleting posts and got a call from Alan yesterday .

I always keep an eye out for anything that looks like it might have something new to offer any other class of aircraft and homebuilts included --this one makes a GeeBee look tame in terms of wing area but it is the product of an experienced designer.... no harm to monitor developments from left field (it reminds me a bit of the Ball-Bartoe experimental that used exhaust gas blown tiny wings yet did achieve an extraordinarily low minimum flying speed in a not too dissimilar fashion to this , personally I would want the biggest whole aircraft parachute I could get on this.

You can see that this thing is TINY -the cockpit is no bigger than a typical glider and truncated in about the least length possible --even if it does not do everything expected of it something radical might emerge of use to others down the food chain.

8. Dec 3, 2013 #8

HeyIts007

HeyIts007

HeyIts007

looks like it would sink like a brick