• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

XM Weather, FIS-B or cellular?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino

Supporting Member
Starting to nail down some details on my panel and am weighing cockpit weather options. I'm probably going to be VFR only, so I don't need really robust weather display (avoid the green stuff). That would seem to make FIS-B the more logical choice, not the least of which because it's free. But since I'm flying low and slow almost all the time, I have no clue how reliable FIS-B would be for me (no direct experience with it). I know low level reception will be to some degree dependent on if there's a FIS-B station nearby, but I have no idea where they are. Do they map them somewhere? At what altitude/distance should I count on receiving reliable FIS-B weather? Alternatively, being low and slow means I almost always have good cell reception, and my tablet displays great weather when ported through the mobile hotspot on my phone. I'm not really concerned with delay because I'll be avoiding weather rather than trying to fly through it. I'm leaning toward FIS-B and cellular, but I guess I just want to see if anyone has some personal perspective to offer, ideally through direct experience, but I'm not that picky.

Back