XFLR5 update

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Aerowerx, Feb 9, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 9, 2019 #1

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

For those of you that use XFLR5, there is a new version 6.4.4, updated yesterday, which allegedly includes aircraft stability analysis.

Haven't played with it yet, so I don't know its capabilities.

Note that if you go to source forge and click on "down load latest" you will not get v6.4.4. (at until source forge does an update). Instead go to "files" and download it from there.

fly2kads and mcrae0104 like this.
  2. Feb 10, 2019 #2

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

From what I have seen so far, the stability analysis appears to have a couple of limitations: no evaluation of stick-free conditions; and it does not include any effects of power. Those limitations make perfect sense in the context of R/C model sailplanes, for which XFLR5 was developed, but makes for an incomplete solution for man-carrying, powered aircraft.

Topaz likes this.
  3. Feb 10, 2019 #3

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

I have played with it a little bit, but don't see much difference with older versions.

Maybe I misread the announcement.

At least I assume he fixed a bunch of the bugs the older versions were plagued with. Unless you did everything exactly right, the older version I had kept crashing.

4. Feb 10, 2019 #4

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

True, but you can do a static analysis with different air speeds. This will give you some idea.

Again true, but it is a good start.

5. Feb 11, 2019 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Since propellers are either stabilizing or destabilizing, depending on whether they're pusher or tractor props, power effects cannot simply be dismissed. And effects of the propwash of a tractor prop need to be accounted for as well.

For the time being, at least, it would seem this tool is only useful for sailplanes.