X-country flight from WI to NH

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Nemo, Nov 2, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 2, 2017 #1

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

How possible would a flight from KHXF to KEEN in a Piper Super Cruiser? In December? Skyvector says it will take me about 10 hours, but that is for today's weather. Are there any tools that let me use typical December weather to factor in for a flight? I know this is not related to Experimental aircraft, but I don't know of any X-C forums.

2. Nov 2, 2017 #2

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

There's an old line, repeated in other regions and countries as well, "If you don't like New England weather, wait a minute." I would treat this big cross country the same way you would any single short cross country, leg by leg, forecast by forecast, and use your judgement accordingly. I am not aware of any online tools that include predictive weather models based on the time of year. Sounds like great fun to me if your cabin heat is up to snuff. ;-)

3. Nov 2, 2017 #3

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Are you planning to go straight across the lake? I've done an 85 mile stretch of open water before, but that was in a 200 knot airplane, in spring, over the warm waters off Key West... And it was still unnerving.

4. Nov 2, 2017 #4

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

No, I would go around Michigan. I would still need to go south to clear Canada and Lake Erie anyways. But, yeah that whole water thing is sketchy.

5. Nov 2, 2017 #5

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

One of my EAA18 (Milwaukee) chapter mates flew a similar plane from KMWC to that neck of the woods, but it was a lot warmer at the time if I recall. Come down to the next chapter meeting on Tuesday 11/28. I'll bet he'll be happy to share his trip with you.

~Chris

6. Nov 2, 2017 #6

TFF

TFF

TFF

It will be day to day wind wise. There are some projections, but you might look at previous year forecasts on one of the weather pages and see what normal is like. If you want precise, you will have to do the leg work. In general sounds fun if the wind is not in your face.

7. Nov 7, 2017 #7

Mreinh3233

Mreinh3233

Mreinh3233

I agree, I’m reminded of the two day flight from Ft Ord CA to the southern coast of Texas in January two friends of mine took. It ended up taking six weeks. A lot of ice storm and low ceiling rerouting, turned into quite the adventure. I don’t think they even lived that one down. Just leave yourself plenty of time and don’t push it.

8. Nov 7, 2017 #8

Mreinh3233

Mreinh3233

Mreinh3233

I agree, I’m reminded of the two day flight from Ft Ord CA to the southern coast of Texas in January two friends of mine took. It ended up taking six weeks. A lot of ice storm and low ceiling rerouting, turned into quite the adventure. I don’t think they even lived that one down. Just leave yourself plenty of time and don’t push it.

9. Dec 7, 2017 #9

BJC

BJC

BJC

Nemo:

Any update on you flight?

BJC

10. Dec 7, 2017 #10

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

I did a little more looking into it, and decided the weather is too harsh. It would be an awesome trip, but it is a bit much in the wind.

BJC likes this.