Write your name/city/state/year/type on your airplane

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by choppergirl, Mar 24, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Unless you're running drug shipments or flying something stolen or have some other compelling reason not to do so, please take ten seconds of your time today with a Sanford Marker and write your name/city/state/build year/type/type fuel/your personal name for your airplane... on your airplane... in some inconspicuous piece of metal, or where ever the standard place may be to put such information.... if you want to be fancy.... a dogtag type printed data plate such as:

Custom Embossed Metal I D Data Plate Printed on Real Military Dog Tag Machine | eBay

This could also help investigators also in the event of a crash... or if the wind blows your airplane away... or someone else ends up with your plane someday, and would like to know about its history, quirks, or tips from someone who has actually flown it... or just meet the old guy that built it and let him see it fly again when he's old, toothless, and grey.

I have no idea who built my plane, when, or where... or any connection to the builder... beyond some handmade pink lettering on the rudder...

DSC_0049x.jpg ~ DSC_0050x.jpg

Angusnofangus likes this.
  2. Mar 24, 2016 #2

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Most airplanes are required a data plate by regulation.

3. Mar 24, 2016 #3

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Well this being a home built airplane forum, anything home built is not going to have one by default until you add it... regulations or not... I'm thinking its probably a good idea to add them to my car as well, in the glovebox... after watching so many videos of old wrecks in the junk yard, you never have any clue who owned the car before or where it came from... a photo of the owner standing in front of the car when it was new or at least pretty and cleaned up... in an envelope... would be one treasure to find in the glovebox...

4. Mar 24, 2016 #4

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

A data plate is required,

But by tax law the air port Administrators are required to log the aircraft using their facilities and report them to the department of airports, Any aircraft staying too long the owner get a tax assessed and a bill sent to the registered owner, if not paid a lean is placed against it, city, county,or state run.

A real pain in the ass,

5. Mar 24, 2016 #5

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Pretty much anything with an N number is required to have a data plate - homebuilt or not. No data plate, no N number, no flight.

6. Mar 24, 2016 #6

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Data plates are required for all N-numbered aircraft, but not for ultralights.

Tax laws vary from state to state. Some charge no tax, some do, some require a state aircraft registration in lieu of (or in addition to) taxes.

Dana

7. Mar 24, 2016 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

My name and phone number was put on all my best airplanes... Sig Mini-Maxer, Cata-Piglet, Micro-X Hornet, Flying Aces Moth... even got the Mini-Maxer back one time :whistle:

8. Mar 24, 2016 #8

narfi

narfi

narfi

Cyber-stalking aviation style....

faa.jpg

Results.jpg

9. Mar 24, 2016 #9

don january

don january

don january

choppergirl, are you suggesting something like a hidden key under your hood in case you loose one? I agree if the plane was totally destroyed in a fire but then a hidden info plate would probably be lost also. Best to keep record's and copy's at home or in a safety deposit box

10. Mar 25, 2016 #10

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Data plates are to be fire proof stamped etched or engraved, even after a smoking hole event the engine and airframe data plates is all you find sometimes. . . .and that Bar B Q smell.

11. Mar 25, 2016 #11

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

I like your idea CG. Yes, I know that data plates are required and all that. But this is a bit of a personal touch. Kind of like where the people that build an airplane sign it in an out-of-the-way place. I've seen this in old Convairs. It's kind of neat so see.

12. Mar 25, 2016 #12

AdrianS

AdrianS

AdrianS

I think I get CG's idea.
    As a serial buyer of old cars, it is interesting to know the history - a lot of owners of "classics" (mine are never that good :)) go searching to trace the history from new.

If I built a plane I would definitely scrawl a "built by AdrianS - first flight 2-5-2025" somewhere inconspicuous on a bulkhead or inside a panel.
    I have done this on race cars before.

Angusnofangus likes this.
  13. Mar 25, 2016 #13

Matt G.

Matt G.

Matt G.

My factory-built glider has a bunch of dates, signatures, and other stuff scrawled all over the wings and tails that I discovered when I refinished it. Not sure what they say since I can't read German.

IMG_4284.jpg
    IMG_4285.jpg

I'm told some people have found some fairly crude phrases written on their gliders at the factory by the production workers.

14. Mar 25, 2016 #14

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Got my phone number, AMA# and FAA registration number on mine that are over .55 lbs. Did that last month. Thought about putting my name on them but that would just be too easy. :)

15. Mar 25, 2016 #15

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

In the lower photo there is a reference to right (rechts) and left (links), date and initials.

Matt G. likes this.
  16. Mar 25, 2016 #16

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Just one more reason for folding wings and a covered trailer! :gig:

D Hillberg likes this.