Quantcast

Wow! Taylor Bird project - rare as it gets!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Wow! Yo ain't kidding. It is hard to even find someone who remembers this much less a project. There were some pics from another one of these aircraft and there were changes from the original. I am not sure what support these had back in the day so pay attention to what the plans say.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I saw the original at Oshkosh, a few years ago. Never knew he sold plans. Thought it was a one of a kind.

Hephaestus

I want it! But I'd never be able get it registered here.

**** borders

plncraze

HBA Supporter
The original had diagonal wing ribs like an Ercoupe. This and another one I saw pictures of have straight ones.
The original needed some development and had a story about that in Sport Aviation. There was nothing ever written about it after that.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw the original Taylor Bird fly at the Taylorcraft fly-in in Alliance in the mid 1980s. C.G. Taylor himself was there, it was a pleasure to meet him.

If I recall correctly it had a Subaru engine.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I saw the original Taylor Bird fly at the Taylorcraft fly-in in Alliance in the mid 1980s. C.G. Taylor himself was there, it was a pleasure to meet him.

One year at OSH I sat in the shade under a wing and had about an hour visit with C.G. Taylor. Yes, it was a pleasure to meet him, nice man.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Yes, it had a Subaru engine.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
The Subaru was one of Taylor's money saving ideas. The reduction drive changed dramatically over the development period. The plane also got a T tail.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
If you are an EAA member you can read about it in the Sport Aviation archives. Use Taylor Bird as the search criteria. The first article is amusing since Taylor was really into his new design and didn't want talks about his old stuff.

billyvray

I really like it. I can appreciate the easy entry aspect of the sliding cockpit but I personally would prefer more structure for safety and a conventional canopy or a door. Hard landing and you might not be able to get out. Otherwise that little plane is just cool.

in2flight

When I was in college in the early 1980s I was heading down I-4 to Sun n Fun, and I saw the Taylorbird on a trailer with "guess who" in the pick up truck towing it... I knew even then that it was a moment in time I wouldn't forget...

piolenc

Saw it at Oshkosh '82. By that time, CGT had apparently changed his mind, because the slip said that plans would not be available. I was disappointed, because aside from the taildragger undercarriage it was just what I wanted.