Wow smooth leading edge flange forming video!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chlomo

I just discovered this youtube video that might be of interest to some of you. It was easy to find so I guess many of you have already seen it...
Anyway

You could watch the whole thing but the wow factor comes in at about 5mins into the video!

They used 0 temper 2024 so subsequent heat treating is a must but it's very hard to resist such professional quality compound curves!

Now where do I find that 1000 bar press...

Last edited by a moderator:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I suspect that the high-pressure press he's using costs more than your airplane or least too much to make it economical for small batches for a homebuilder.

PTAirco

We should all donate and get our own HBA rubber press - it's a marvelous tool. Watched a 5000ton press in England press out ribs for me, it was amazing. Cost about $5 a rib, but worth it. I used 2024 T3, but had notched nose ribs to avoid the wrinkling. Compressed plywood dies, faced with aluminium.

For most work 200 to 400 ton presses are sufficient.

Chlomo

We should all donate and get our own HBA rubber press - it's a marvelous tool. Watched a 5000ton press in England press out ribs for me, it was amazing. Cost about $5 a rib, but worth it. I used 2024 T3, but had notched nose ribs to avoid the wrinkling. Compressed plywood dies, faced with aluminium.

For most work 200 to 400 ton presses are sufficient.
Hey! If 5000 ton press is not an option I think I may be able to get away with male-female mdf dies pressed with manual hyro 30ton shop press. would have to machine twice the number of mdf panels than using rubber pad hydroforming but there is really no need to apply ecess pressure on surfaces not formed. For the more compound curves I'll use 0 state 2024 and further heat treat it! That way I'm hoping to achieve similar results shown above without applying flutes!