• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Would YOU do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cattflight

Or maybe the thread should be entitled "should I do it?" Here's my very real scenario. Bear with me...:nervous:

I am inches away from purchasing the Vision aircraft plans from Pro Composites but I am a bit concerned with ougrowing the 2-place airframe quickly. We are really in need of a good cross-country cruiser, most preferably a 4-place...enter the Freedom. This is, essentialy, the big sister to the Vision and is intended to follow many of the same build practices as the Vision. Like the Personal Cruiser and the Vision, it is also marketed by Pro Composites, and Scott Vanderveen, the company owner, is 90% complete with the Freedom prototype.

The Vision looks like a really good fit to me but the Freedom looks like a great fit. Issue is, there aren't any flying yet. According to Scott, it is still "at least a year away from flying". This isn't the part that concerns me as I do not anticipate being completed prior to him. And I am optimistic that the experience he and Steve Rahm, the original Vision designer, have between them will yield a nice flying aircraft. My larger concern is what if there is a signifcant change that needs to be made after their flight testing, and after I am 50%+ complete with my build? Is it possible to get "reasonable" rates on insurance, or any insurance at all, for an aircraft model that has only one or two others flying?

I know, even now with RVs topping 7000 flying, someone built the first or second one after the prototype, so this is not an entriely new concept - but to me it would be.
I don't want to drop tens of thousands on the numerous sub kits for other popular kits - nor am I willing to throw even more at one of those Builder Assist programs at the factory like Glasair, Lancair, or Lightning. That said, one of these two are going to be my choice. I am just wondering what you all think about the Freedom and if you would take that chance.

Fire away! :para:

Back