Would you buy a MPG wonder if it was available ?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by topspeed100, Jan 24, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 25, 2012 #21

highspeed

highspeed

highspeed

Re: Would you buy a MPG wonder it if was available ?

I would like to add that if you're going for the local area aircraft then a touch of the nostalgic can be attractive. I've thought of getting the plans for a Fly Baby and building something fun to fly around in.

2. Jan 25, 2012 #22

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Thanks folks !

This cleared my head a lot. I just might go for a 15 liter tank with smaller engine and buzz for 6 hours and that actually covers in distance all cities in Finland from my home town.

For that press release we might take a hop with the smaller engine with full wing tanks for a non stop 2200 nautical miles trip to get some media coverage for this.

Later,

Juke

3. Jan 25, 2012 #23

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

There you have it. Finnish constitution. Don't we have a pole function on this site?
    800KM is a long way to travel in just 5 hours, but I guess it's not up to modern standards. 20$ says Topspeed will travel more miles in Finland at 120 than most of you will at 200.

4. Jan 25, 2012 #24

I'm afraid that no one in Finland are not interested of your plane, despite the tank size, endurance, speed, etc., so it might be better to focus the marketing somewhere else.

5. Jan 25, 2012 #25

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

I am very very sorry to hear that ! ....: )

I can take my business to England too.

I heard some flowers are blooming in Lancaster already !

( here is -18 C )

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Jan 25, 2012 #26

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

Which one of your latest design you have in mind? A4-TIKKA?

Mitja

7. Jan 25, 2012 #27

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Yes the one I recently designated as A4-TIKKA. Is there interest in Slovenija for it ?

TIKKA is a woodpecker..bird that relates to wood material; http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valkoselkätikka

Aviation engineer who worked at Dassault says it would make history if build. Well that is very stretching and loaded term...Frankenhornet was pretty historical too...consumed millions and nothing was gained but lotsa medical bills.

8. Jan 25, 2012 #28

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

9. Jan 25, 2012 #29

TFF

TFF

TFF

When it comes to airplanes, decisions are made more on passion than utility. It is more of a psychology exercise and pied piper than perfection. A Pitts owner is not a Barron owner, RV not a 172 kind, a Bonanza and an ultra lite( any rules) and so on. You do have to find a group. What your plane sounds like is a UAV.

10. Jan 25, 2012 #30

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Well if even 1 999 997 bought my plane there'd still be a customer for each of those firms....:)

This is possibly more efficient than many UAVs TFF..they are awful big nowadays.

I'd put the fairytale like this; Everyone has a bicycle eventhough they have a car...I am selling/marketing the moped/bicycles now.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  11. Jan 25, 2012 #31

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If your market is the frequent traveller, then a moderate to high speed and good range is called for (maybe 140+ MPH). If your market is the recreational pilot (fly for fun), then all you really need is descent climb performance and low fuel consumption to make the recreation affordable. For local flights, anything under 4-5 GPH makes flying more hours much more likely and less stressful (financially). Of the planes I have available to me at the time, I fly the 65 HP Champ and the CZAW/Piper Sport Cruiser more often because they use less fuel.

So the bottom line is, speed or fuel consumption (one or the other... you probably won't get both together) are better factors to shoot for rather than MPG.

Bruce :)

12. Jan 25, 2012 #32

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Well the cruise fuel consumtion is 0,65 gallons per hour that automatically yields an awesome MPG in an awesome looking aerodyne !

13. Jan 25, 2012 #33

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

How about that building aspect. I did not get a clear answer to my question about the kit or ARF question.

If I only offered plans..how much they cost or should cost maximum ?

14. Jan 25, 2012 #34

Condor

Condor

Condor

US $500 max. But it needs to have 3D model in eDrawing or 3D PDF so one can efficiently build it without spending months to understand how it goes together.

15. Jan 25, 2012 #35

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Thank you Condor....500 bucks is a lot of money. I spent 57 £ to get 1/5 scale DeHavilland Dragon Rapide plans for an R/C plane.

I may leave this as an option since I have so far heard nothing from the funding department folks !

So practically a CAD operator ( CATIA/SolidWorx ) 3D modelling the kites structure as it has been done.

Who supervises that no copies are being taken from the sent copies or is this like gentleman to gentleman business ?

16. Jan 25, 2012 #36

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

I disagree. If your design is so complex to build that 3D CAD models are required to understand it and fabricate the parts then no-one will build it. You will either need a design that can be understood completely in straight forward 2D drawings or you will need to provide those parts that are too complex to be understood in that way.

17. Jan 25, 2012 #37

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

Take a look at who's selling plans today and what they sell for. You can look in "Sport Aviation" and "Kit Planes", among others, for plans for sale. You'll find that your plans have almost no value until you've built the plane and demonstrated its capabilities. Better yet, had some one else build one from your plans. Then the value will depend on how the plane and its building effort compare with other plans sets that are on the market.

18. Jan 25, 2012 #38

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Of course the aeroplane has to be superb and all competitions winning that is a must of course. When all that is okay will the price of the plans be much higher ?

I agree 100% djschwartz that plans should be real easy 2D..it is a lot more cost effective to produce them too.

19. Jan 25, 2012 #39

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

I could go for some full scale 2D plans myself. I don't like to have to scale things in my head. Performance plans tend to go for more. Realistically selling a hardware kit with specific dohickies you can't find or need to make would speed the process up a lot, as well as giving you a reason to charge more. As far as being a gentleman's game, certainly not. Anyone using your design without having bought plans is being unlawful. Of course, courts differ from country to country and litigation is slow and painful. Just get your product well known as fast as possible.

It should be mentioned that copycat's using the same materials, engine and plane-form can't really be stopped unless they go too far and don't change any of the dimensions. Or make almost no alteration. Don't worry though, plenty of people will want the original sensational 100MPG wonder.

20. Jan 25, 2012 #40

topspeed100

topspeed100

topspeed100

Banned

Your words are honey to me !

To show my appreciation I show you the most guarded secret hitherto..TIKKA's wing plan form in 3D. I guess this kinda drawings added give better inpression how dihedral and angles in the wing work ?

Enjoy and good nite everyone ! Thanks for commenting !

PS: TIKKA is 123 MPG...I counted it "precisely" at 80 mph.

Attached Files: