Quantcast

Would you be interested in a 200 hp turboprop?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Merlin

The IO-390 series is rated at 210 HP, and typically is more expensive than the IO-360-A and -C series that are 200 HP. The -B is the parallel valve version, at 180 HP.

BJC
The price for a new one is 37k, if you add 50% thats 50k

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If yes, how much would you be willing to spend to buy one?
Is it flat rated to 200 HP, and if so, whats the critical altitude? Also, whats the fuel consumption? Without those numbers, there can be no way to value the product in the market.

Merlin

Is it flat rated to 200 HP, and if so, whats the critical altitude? Also, whats the fuel consumption? Without those numbers, there can be no way to value the product in the market.
Its a super niche market and there is no competition, the nearest turboprop is the allison 250 and will cost you $350k

The altitude is 16000ft, the cruise sfc is ~50gallon/h

TFF

That fuel consumption needs to be about 25 gal an hour. 55 gallons an hour is TBM700.

Merlin

That fuel consumption needs to be about 25 gal an hour. 55 gallons an hour is TBM700.
To reduce the sfc by half the engine need to be 10 more complex and end up 10 times more expencive to make.
it would not be affordable to homebuilders.
the PT6A in the TBM700 cost half a million alone.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Its a super niche market and there is no competition, the nearest turboprop is the allison 250 and will cost you $350k

The altitude is 16000ft, the cruise sfc is ~50gallon/h
50g/h at what level of thrust?

I mean the TJ100 is 1.09 lbm/lbf/hr roughly 40gph at 247# of thrust...

rv7charlie

To reduce the sfc by half the engine need to be 10 more complex and end up 10 times more expencive to make.
the PT6A in the TBM700 cost half a million alone.
Aaaannnnddd....that's why there are no small turbines being operated by mere mortals.

You do realize that at that fuel burn, with a typical RV-x you'd have to take off, fly the pattern and land, to stay within VFR reserves, right?

Merlin

Aaaannnnddd....that's why there are no small turbines being operated by mere mortals.

You do realize that at that fuel burn, with a typical RV-x you'd have to take off, fly the pattern and land, to stay within VFR reserves, right?
If you fly at over 200knot thats a fairly decent distance. Also the engine is mainly built for entertainement/aerobatics not to travel around (altho you could)

50g/h at what level of thrust?

I mean the TJ100 is 1.09 lbm/lbf/hr roughly 40gph at 247# of thrust...
i can't give you those numbers at the moment

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The "market" is anyone looking for a device to turn fuel into thrust. The overall efficiency of that conversion is what steers designers to select a particular product. The stated fuel burn of this 200 hp turboprop takes it out of consideration for any possible airplane for me. Even if the engine was given to me for free, it still puts me behind on any reasonable performance criteria. The power output is far lower and fuel burn is far higher than my 540, so such an engine would hobble the utility of my Rocket, RV-8 or my Pacer.

Merlin

BJC
New to me, it doesn't look like its available or even tested yet.
The SFC seems a bit unrealistic imo

It is possible to make a 200hp turboprop with a 15gph sfc but it would require multiple compressor and turbine stages, the use of exotic materials and ceramic coating to sustain the heat.

we'd be north of 100k thats a ridiculous price for a LSA or a homebuild

rv7charlie

If you fly at over 200knot thats a fairly decent distance. Also the engine is mainly built for entertainement/aerobatics not to travel around (altho you could)
Sorry; you can't. At 50 GPH, and the typical 35-45 gallons of fuel capacity in a typical 2 seat homebuilt, by the time you taxi, take off, and climb to pattern altitude, you'd be at VFR minimum fuel. 200 kts on downwind might *sound* cool, but it would be counterproductive at best.

edit: If flow is 50 GPH @16K feet, you couldn't even leave the ground legally; it's got to be much worse near sea level.

Hephaestus

The real question is weight, $, TBO and cost of overhaul.

I mean the TJS is 1000hr, and I'd be wondering if I shouldn't just buy a replacement at the cost.

Latest posts