Would like to "fly around" just at or above ground effect-SLOWLY???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JBAZ

Hi all, I am an avid rc modeler and have been interested in flying around low and slow. By this I mean at or above ground effect like the human powered airplanes do But, want to use an electric or gas low hp motor. I live in the AZ desert so would like to fly in the local dry lakebeds.

Has anyone seen/heard of thus kind of flying? Something like a half sized 90' HPA with small motor. I looked intonground effect (wigs) but they cruise quite fast, faster than many slow ultralights.

Thinking about cruising around no higher than I am willing to fall.
:ermm:

StarJar

Well the thing is, you would need more wing area than an ultralight, and that stucture will add weight. Now you're heavier than an ultralight, so now you have legal issues.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
This been discussed here before. Short answer is that low and slow is a good way to get hurt or killed, as the early hang gliders learned.

-Dana

Sometimes it is easier to beg forgiveness than get permission.

dragnfl1

i like my himax for goin up and cruising around and it taxies well 31 mph take off and 28 landing speeds not too bad for beginners

JBAZ

So what I am thinkingnabout is something like the Gossamer Penguin, that was about 70' wingspan, sized down from the Albatross, with addition of small brushed motor, NiCads and solar panels.

I get the comment about injuries from hang gliders etc, But that is not what I am talking about, more along the lines of the above mentioned G. penguin, or perhaps an Airchair, motor floater, have you seen the Bloop2, Goats etc from Mike Sandlin?

I did read that with the Penguin a gust rolled it and the "pilot" exited the ac through the mylar, the whole plane came down on him as well, luckily uninjured though and a few months after, another first in aviation was achieved.:)

StarJar

A plane like that will get shredded to pieces in a 20 mph wind. Where could you possibly keep it? In an abondoned dairy barn?
Say you have the plane out, ready to fly. Then comes along a 10 mph breeze. You'll be chasing your plane as it tumbles across the dry lake. Not my idea of fun or sanity.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
So what I am thinkingnabout is something like the Gossamer Penguin, that was about 70' wingspan, sized down from the Albatross, with addition of small brushed motor, NiCads and solar panels.

I get the comment about injuries from hang gliders etc, But that is not what I am talking about, more along the lines of the above mentioned G. penguin, or perhaps an Airchair, motor floater, have you seen the Bloop2, Goats etc from Mike Sandlin?...
Perhaps it would help us to understand why you want to fly so low. Slow is no big deal, but there are some significant and very real added hazards created when flying very low to the ground. If you're thinking of flying low in order to be "safer" or less likely to be injured, it's actually the opposite that's true. Altitude is very much your friend. The various airchair gliders, including the Goat, generally fly several hundred to several thousand feet above the ground. Even when ridge-soaring at Torrey Pines (one of the usual Goat videos - most often shown with the red one), they're two or three hundred feet above the beach.

[video=youtube;PAXmDgi6bpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAXmDgi6bpw[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Head in the clouds

What about a large and very lightly built hovercraft? I saw one under development in our Northern Territory. It was only a two seater but had a large (30ft diameter) skirt and flew with just one 5hp motor used for thrust and lift. It's still a form of flying and ideal for lakebeds, lakes and swamps. It floated for use as a fishing platform. And the outer skirt ring collapsed upward and inward and it all went on a small car trailer.

JBAZ

So back to my original question, any ideas? I have read the short thread and some ideas that were discussed included: Birdman (the hype and advertising about flying in ground effect at a walking pace sounded great but never materialized) and to some of you that may know what happened to the designer (well out of ground effect-BTW), Whing Ding (ordered plans to review).

Yes dry lakebeds get windy (gets dark at night too), I actually live in the desert, so I am aware of the weather patterns here. It is a Perfect place for HPA's, you are aware of where most of them were tested?

Anyway if anyone has any ideas regarding my question please respond

JBAZ

Yes I looked in to both Lippisch and Ekranoplan designs but they are too fast, heavy etc. Thanks for idea though.

StarJar

To be honest with you, I'm not interested in helping you persue this. You need to first take some basic steps to increase your understanding of airplanes.

Or else build your $100,000 HPA, to be only taken out in SUPER calm conditions, with a substantial crew, to fly around at 15 mph. Plus I already asked, Where would you keep a 70 ft. span plane? Do you see how your yanking us into a zone we don't want to be in? I'd rather go change the diapers on my neighbors kid.

I'm out.

JBAZ

Wow! Thank goodness that Killjoy/Buzzkill left! Love how these know-it-all types Troll by, don't answer any questions, offer no useful information, and "gracefully" exit.

Anyway, back to the topic. I also was interested in the Pelican but it is no more (never really was).

Any ideas, on the subject at hand?
:ban:

JBAZ

BTW, if any of you are familiar (or intersted), I maidened my 50% scale Spratt103 controlwing model aircraft today. It is underpowered because it was only using 1/2 of the 4 lipo batteries this am. My channel is :azvids on Youtube.

The models has a 13' wingspan and the trike is aluminum. I also built a 25%model last year. I built them both from scratch and the 50%er took me about 6 weeks to build (lots of other projects going)!

J

SVSUSteve

d
Wow! Thank goodness that Killjoy/Buzzkill left! Love how these know-it-all types Troll by, don't answer any questions, offer no useful information, and "gracefully" exit.

Anyway, back to the topic. I also was interested in the Pelican but it is no more (never really was).

Any ideas, on the subject at hand?
:ban:
Insulting a respected forum member is not a good way to garner assistance. As for being a 'buzzkill', it seems folks have provided plenty of information or insight. The only problem is that it is not the response you were wanting.

autoreply

The problem is that you don't know what you don't know. The last few posts have raised some concerns; the type of aircraft and the type of flying you describe are extremely impractical and dangerous.

Now, most of those people comment, because one day we've been in your position and we wanted to do the same. Experience has tought us otherwise, so you'd do well to not throw those comments away as "know-it-alls".

With the gusts, flying at your place with a typical HPA, you'd crash it 98 out of 100 days due to gusts.

So. Why do you want to fly that low and slow? As others have mentioned it's far more risky than a bit faster and higher.