World's Largest Plane

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Voyeurger, Jan 26, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2011 #1

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]32 wheels! -- Cost's more than my house to rotate the tires!
    The[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]World's Biggest Airplane, the Russian Antonov 225.
    Attached pics are of the Russian[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]behemoth when it came into
    Medford , OR , to pick up two Sikorsky fire fighting helicopters
    to take overseas[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] -- $1,000,000 to transport them[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    While they were loading the helicopters, the Russian pilots
    (two crews), went into town to buy cigarettes by the case and
    Levis jeans. It is amazing something this huge can stay in
    the air.
    The Wright brothers would never have dreamed it.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    View attachment 10478 Big 11.JPG Big 9.jpg Big1.jpg Big 2.jpg Big 5.JPG View attachment 10483 View attachment 10482 View attachment 10481 View attachment 10480 View attachment 10479 Big 4.JPG
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

2. Jan 26, 2011 #2

teknosmurf

teknosmurf

teknosmurf

These guys fly in to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway occasionally (once or twice a year according to the FBO lady) and apparently they load up with lawn furniture! Go figure!

3. Jan 26, 2011 #3

TFF

TFF

TFF

They brought one of those in a couple of times here. They were moving a electrical generation plant. The thing that I noticed the most was how slow it would fly; it was off the ground at 100kts. They also do all there transactions in cash and they carry about 300K around with them. I worked with a guy that was the crew's boss 20 years ago when he was on the other side of the world so we had some access more with the AN 223s but what was funny and this was 5-8 years ago was these guys were navigating the world that time with a hand held Garmin.

4. Jan 26, 2011 #4

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Heh. My An-225 story: Was driving along near McCarran Airport in Las Vegas with a friend of mine, and we looked over into one of the parking areas and saw this big airplane. "Wow." Drove down a cross-street to get a better look and saw the H-tail and six engines, marking it as the An-225 (we thought it was an An-124 at first). There it was, in all its glory, sitting on the tarmac surrounded by business jets.

Oh. Wait. Those aren't business jets. They're 727's. :shock:

That's when the size really sank in. The thing is HUGE. Of all the pictures above, only "Big 2.jpg" really gives you an idea of the size of the aircraft. Those trucks are in front of it.

Not only wouldn't the Wright brothers have dreamed of it, but their entire first flight was less than the An-225's wingspan.

5. Jan 28, 2011 #5

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

One of these flew into Philly airport years ago and I went to see it. I must say I wasn't impressed. Supposedly it only holds the "largest plane in the world" status by something like 6 inches over that of the C5 galaxy......

6. Jan 28, 2011 #6
  7. Jan 29, 2011 #7

Monty

Monty

Monty

I saw one land at HSA to deliver some oil field equipment. We watched as it approached, and got bigger, and bigger, and BIGGER, AND BIGGER, THIS THING IS FRIGGING HUGE!!!! And it landed very SLOWLY and only used about a quarter of the runway. Very impressive to see something that big land so short.

8. Jan 30, 2011 #8

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Flew over one once, on final glide (in opposite directions). Pretty scary, to be about 800 feet on top of it and be able to see both wingtips. Felt like scratching the (incredibly slowly) An-225.

9. Jan 30, 2011 #9

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Sure what you saw wasn't an An-124? That one is about C-5 size, overall. The An-225 (and, IIRC, there is only one of them) is quite a bit larger.