• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Workshops and wings: How big is too big?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How big is too big when it comes to a one-piece wing and workshop space requirements?

• 16' / 4.88 m

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 20' / 6.10 m

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 24' / 7.32 m

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 28' / 8.53 m

• 32' / 9.75 m

• No limit, if I want to build the plane then I'll find a way

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I have long been surprised that many European designs (Jodel, Druine, Minicab, Taylor (originally), etc.) use one-piece wings. That reduces weight and complexity but makes for an awfully awkward package when it comes to workshops space and ground transport. For example, the Leger Pataplume 2 uses a big wing to get good performance from VW, but by "big" I mean 9.11 m tip to tip or just a hair under 30'!
pataplume 2.jpg
That seems odd to me considering that most European homes have smaller basements, sheds, or garages than their North American counterparts. I guess homebuilt aircraft building just means finding a hangar or another large space when it comes time to build the wings. So, this poll is my quick and dirty attempt to find out how big is too big when it comes to shop space needs. Comments welcome, but please also vote using the poll.

Back