Workshop lighting

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by BJC, Dec 24, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 5, 2018 #41

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Tangential comment: Hopefully the industry will develop a few standard replaceable LED "light bulb" types. Right now, the only way you can use LEDs for lighting are to:
    a) Buy a fixture with non-replaceable LEDs built in. So, you'll be buying a new fixture if any electrical component fails, which is pricey, wasteful, and even more problematic if you have a bunch of them and want them to all look the same.
    b) Buy a fixture that takes a standard screw-in Edison bulb and put an LED bulb in it. This is a pretty good approach, but limits the design to the styles needed to accommodate those bulbs (e.g. no 1" thick flat-panel lights, etc). Also, putting the electronic driver circuit near the warm LEDs isn't ideal.
    c) Same as "b", but using a 48" florescent fixture as the host for the LED replacement bulb. Same negatives as "b": We're stuck with the form-factor of the old florescent tube bulbs.

For options B and C, I'm pretty sure LED replacement bulbs will be available for many years due to the huge number of screw-in and tubular florescent fixtures.

2. Jan 5, 2018 #42

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Those LED strips are very appealing especially if you've already got a white ceiling or walls as reflectors. If you have exposed beams I could see running them all over the top of the beams to shine up at the ceiling and reflect down for indirect light with no shadows. You could do the same with a head-high molding all around the perimeter of the room shining up at the white walls. These pics don't show exactly what I mean, but you get the idea.

1400955079526.jpeg black-ceiling-lights-bq-best-indirect-lighting-ideas-on-cove-led-beams-exposed-beam-ceilings.jpg qHB84.jpg 240c0629964ddba7a61101a11677b848.jpg ultra-warm-strip-lv2-500.jpg

3. Jan 6, 2018 #43

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

LED lights are more efficient; they turn a greater portion of the electricity into light. This isn't "free lunch" so much as not throwing away half the food on the plate. See https://www.thespruce.com/lumens-per-watt-2175065

Different technologies can differ quite a lot in efficiency. This summer I rode the Mt Washington Cog Railway to the summit. The steam locomotives use about a ton of coal for the trip; the diesel ones use 18 gallons of oil. A ton of coal has about 28000000 BTU or 14,000 BTU/lb; a gallon of oil has about 139000 BTU for a total of about 2502000 BTU, so that steam locomotive used about 11 times the energy to do the same amount of work.

Personally, I find LEDs to be superior to fluorescents in many ways, one of which is that I find the quality of light to be better. What's cool is that they now produce LEDs designed as replacements for T8 fluorescents (see http://www.premierltg.com/should-you-replace-your-t8-fluorescent-lamps-with-t8-led-tubes-2/), so you may be able to buy T8-replacement LEDs and use existing fixtures.

4. Jan 6, 2018 #44

BJC

BJC

BJC

5. Jan 6, 2018 #45

rick9mjn

rick9mjn

rick9mjn

Last month i was working with a hammer, at my workbench, with 4ft fluorescent tubes ,4ft straight overhead. and what i was working on shattered, and pieces hit the tube shattering it , and i had poison glass falling down on me.......... So my thoughts on going to 4ft. LED's. is a good idea because of ; cost / electricity saving & be safer. also if you remove the " ballast " you get to save more cost saving,,,,,,,,, as ""funny"" side note if you remove the " ballast" the lights fixture will smell better. i think everyone has smelled, the "hot tar" of the ballast consuming electricity ,& heating up....and having removing this "always on" hot ballast , has got be safer !!!!!!! ..good day /rick IMHO-IMBW,,,,,,i my humble opinion,i may be wrong

6. Jan 6, 2018 #46

BJC

BJC

BJC

That is a good point, rick, and one that I had not considered.

BJC

7. Jan 6, 2018 #47

BJC

BJC

BJC

Thanks, everyone, for all the comments, links and suggestions. I guess after all this, I will have to upgrade my shop lighting.

BJC

8. Jan 11, 2018 #48

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

I've become sold on LED screw in bulbs now that the price has come down. Tonight I finished replacing the fluorescent fixture (two 4' tubes) with four cheap sockets with 100W equivalent LEDs. The tubes were 40W each, lumens unknown, the LEDs are 14W each, 100W incandescent equivalent, 1500 lumens each for a total of 6000... whatever the tubes were the new LEDs are a lot brighter. And cheap... four sockets and boxes $10, half of a $30 8-pack of LED bulbs, and a few feet of Romex.
    IMG_20180110_191158423.jpg
    I had already put ten of the same LEDs in a leftover lamp set given to me by a friend who worked at Disneyworld which I strung in my airplane shed.
    IMG_20171210_100256904.jpg
    I will not lack for light when it gets warm enough out there to work on the plane!

Dana

cluttonfred and BJC like this.