• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Workshop Layout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBHurricane

So I recently (finally) made the trip to Vernon BC to pick up my first project airplane. It is a Graham Lee design nieuport 12, 3/4 of it is complete with upper wing pieces bent and need assembling. As others know I have plans for a sindlinger hurricane as well that I will look to build afterwards. I'm creating this thread for information from those building similar aircraft.

My shop/Quonset is a 30'x65' fabric building that I use for everything including storage and automotive work to keep everything out of the Canadian winter elements. I've attached some videos and pictures to give a general idea of layout but would like some input.

West wall starting at north end; approx 12' space for tablesaw in-feed (is this enough space, should it be larger or less??). Tablesaw attached to approx 14' bench with miter saw in center that will be removable. End of table I'll have the work area to set up sanders/scroll saw(eventually router table will be built into bench. I will attach a picture of the general bench layout.
From there is little space, wood stove, sitting area to the end of the tin.
20' assembly table 2' deep but will have fold out top to make 4' wide and on casters to roll out from wall and have adjusted a on the feet to level. (Is 20' too long or is it a good overall length??)
Front corner (SW) will be shelving for yard work items (chainsaws, weed whacker, shrub trimmer, shovels, rakes, etc.)

East side starting at entrance (SE corner) I have my bikes, tractor and quad parked and will build a shelf overtop to store riding gear, oils, parts, etc.
Next will be welding table with bench grinder and vice, drill press, small assembly table, tool chest, air compressor/panel.
After panel it may be a bench then shelving that wraps around the back wall.

Looks like the videos may not show up but I've attached pictures of the airplane as loaded on my trailer.

Main things I'm worried about is in-feed for table saw and assembly table size to accomodate wood and tube/fabric aircraft construction.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_215635.jpg
    IMG_20210904_215635.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210904_215619.jpg
    IMG_20210904_215619.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20210904_215601.jpg
    IMG_20210904_215601.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20210904_213550.jpg
    IMG_20210904_213550.jpg