Working Radius Around Equipment

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by Johnny luvs Biplanes, Nov 24, 2003.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 24, 2003 #1

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Hi all, can anyone tell me the suggested MINIMUM working radius around shop equipment i.e. if I want to work on a length of wood on these machines: bandsaw, disc sander, drill press, how close can the machines be? Can I mount them to a 3ft sq mobile bench as suggested in the Bingelis books and have enough room to swing the material (I don't think so) around? Thanks, John :confused:

2. Nov 25, 2003 #2

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Well John, I saw this post amongst all the others and as a licensed electician I felt compelled to answer it. I know that things are different on the other side of the swamp and I am talking about elecrtical apparatus, but this may give you something to go by.

We need 36", or a bit less than a meter from exposed live parts. We also have dedicated vertical space to a structural ceiling.

I suppose that if you have the space to go greater, then all the better!

:D CJ

3. Nov 28, 2003 #3

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

CJ, I guess the 3ft you refer to is in some way related to electrical safety? I don't want to use a load of precious space in my garage to position my power tools but need enough to swing a bit of wood I guess! Cheers, John :confused:

4. Nov 29, 2003 #4

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Guess would depend on the length/width of the wood. Two ways I worked around limited space was 1) having casters on the tool stands and so able to move them around, and 2) building the saws/sander/etc into the workbench in such as way that they could be lowered or raised as I needed. Lowering the miter saw below the bench hieght and placing a piece of plywood over the gap gave me a much longer run/support for the radial arm, for example....

Theres a 'Tool Dock' system out that you can buy that will help out in limited space shops. Costs more, but really a nice system.

Tool Dock supplier - Just one place, shop around for price.

Jim

5. Nov 29, 2003 #5

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

The Tool Dock is a good idea and won't take valuable bench space. I had a similar idea to use a much cheaper Workmate folding bench but they aren't wheeled. Never considered a fold out system, only trouble there is I want to use the under bench space for storage. Ideas are forming, thanks.
    John :ponder:

6. Nov 29, 2003 #6

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Ya, if underneath storage is a problem, them lowering the tools down would prolly be a last resort. I've always been partial to overhead storage myself. Airs warmer up high keeping the wood dry and stable.

Ya know, instead of buying the Tool Dock, it wouldn't be all that hard to make a similar system yourself, which is what I'm thinking about doing when I move.

Jim

7. Nov 29, 2003 #7

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Johnny luvs Biplanes

Yeah this is probably what Bingelis shows in his books.