Quantcast

Working on an airplane on the ramp

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cblink.007

I'm going out there Sunday and Tuesday to build, and the airport managers office is on the same side of the field as both the chapter clubhouse (they chased a bunch of squatters out) and a bunch of sketchy abandoned buildings and aircraft, so I think it MIGHT be possible to cut a deal.

A lot of the chapter members have hangers, generally the smaller Port A Ports, stuffed to the roof with flying airplanes, projects, workbenches, tools, and half of Aircraft Spruce's inventory, so no room in the manger.
When I was in the military, my last duty station was Ft Campbell. The nearest civ airfield was Outlaw Field (KCKV). Hangar space was a huge issue there, and some people who had hangars were using them for things other than aircraft. One such hangar was rented by an active duty soldier. Only problem was that he relocated to Fort Irwin, CA, took his aircraft with him, and, since he intended to return to Fort Campbell, he stuffed the hangar to the gills with most of his household goods. Airport management didn't like it, but there was nothing on the contract giving them any legal recourse. There was also a hangar with an aircraft in it that hadn't flown for the last five years, but in that case, the aircraft owner had passed, and was at the center of probate proceedings...yet the family continued paying the rent.

I'm sure alot of you out there have seen similar stories!

cblink.007

BJC
Great thread. Even the airport employees at the time felt that FAA regulations prohibited using those hangars for storage, but since the individual renting the hangar was a ranking officer within the 101st Airborne, the airport manager chose to look the other way apparently.

BJC

HBA Supporter
When the FAA issued the rule, lots of EAA members criticized it. Having been unable to rent a hangar at the (then) local airport for my fabric covered airplane because some hangars were used as workshops and some as storage units, I fully support it.

BJC

cblink.007

When the FAA issued the rule, lots of EAA members criticized it. Having been unable to rent a hangar at the (then) local airport for my fabric covered airplane because some hangars were used as workshops and some as storage units, I fully support it.

BJC
Likewise! It was a big problem at CKV when I was there!

Victor Bravo

My home airport has a number of hangars that are knowingly rented to 100% non-aviation use, and justified it because they pay a higher monthly rent. I feel this is a very dangerous and slippery slope. The FAA rule should state that the rental cost of hangars must be adjusted such that all hangars are occupied by aircraft storage or verifiable aircraft repair or construction. If there are empty hangars, instead of renting them to car collectors or upholstery shops, they must adjust the price until an aircraft owner or builder rents it. The price is still driven by the local free capitalist pig market, with the exception that airport hangars are for aviation and not lawnmowers. There is NO airport in the world where the majority of aircraft owners don't want to put their airplane in a hangar.

kent Ashton

My home airport has a number of hangars that are knowingly rented to 100% non-aviation use, and justified it because they pay a higher monthly rent.
I have argued a lot with the FAA over hangars but with the new policy, it is pretty clear that federally-assisted airports must give priority to aeronautical uses. If you complained under 14 CFR part 13, I think the FAA would say higher rent does not justify non-aeronautical use. The gov’t does not fund airports so they can operate wood-working shops or whatever. Sometimes you have to be a hard-a__ to get the rules enforced. Part 13 is pretty informal but you have to provide evidence of misuse and try to get the sponsor to act first.

cblink.007

I have argued a lot with the FAA over hangars but with the new policy, it is pretty clear that federally-assisted airports must give priority to aeronautical uses. If you complained under 14 CFR part 13, I think the FAA would say higher rent does not justify non-aeronautical use. The gov’t does not fund airports so they can operate wood-working shops or whatever. Sometimes you have to be a hard-a__ to get the rules enforced. Part 13 is pretty informal but you have to provide evidence of misuse and try to get the sponsor to act first.
Here is a good start:

Also, see attached Federal Register document. Very plainly stated what the right-left limits are for an airport receiving grant funding.

What I do not like in the document is that the airport manager can allow non-aeronautical use of a hangar on a temporary basis if demand is low, but must charge at the fair market rate. I have yet to find an airport that does not have a waiting list...

Attachments

Volzalum

... The nearest civ airfield was Outlaw Field (KCKV)...
I did my flight training at CKV in the mid 90’s. Opposing traffic pattern to keep out of Ft. Campbell Airspace.
But back on topic, something connected to your vehicle or a trailer makes the most sense.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Thanks for all the suggestions. Looking through the comments on the homebuilt "Indestructible" awning, someone mentioned ARB awnings.

Look better than anything I could make for similar money. I think this is the way I would go, if I go this way. Get a used minivan for my tools and parts, drive it up to the plane, and start working in 10 minutes under a shade/rain fly.

Daleandee

Looking through the comments on the homebuilt "Indestructible" awning, someone mentioned ARB awnings.

Look better than anything I could make for similar money. I think this is the way I would go, if I go this way. Get a used minivan for my tools and parts, drive it up to the plane, and start working in 10 minutes under a shade/rain fly.
Those look pretty easy to set up but in the video it appears that it wouldn't take much wind to make it go into "kite mode."

pfarber

HBA Supporter
The $170 Harbor Freight car port is 10x18'. Using one segment of the three is 68".
Won't last. Had one and wind basically ate it up. Maybe if you just used the metal supports and made a decent UV/Waterproof covering, but you'd be well into the $500+ range.

I would not want to be out on a ramp working on anything major. Take it home, take it to another airfield or beg for some hanger space. Is there a local EAA chapter? Are you a member? Maybe they know someplace.