Quantcast

Working on an airplane on the ramp

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I'm thinking about buying an ALMOST flying airplane project, but when I do, it will lose the hangar it's in, and there are NO hangars to be had in the San Francisco Bay Area at a price I can afford. I anticipate needing to do a bit of fettling, on a tie-down. But it will start raining soon, and I don't do too well trying to work in direct sunlight. Firewall forward is my concentration.

Who has ideas about tents I can erect quickly and take down just as quickly, to give a little shelter for a weekend for wrenching?

Pilot-34

Do you expect to be working out of your pick up or Motor home ?
A large awning fastened to the side of either would give you the ability to drive up lower the awning and work in the shade it also has the advantages of not erecting anything on airport property

TFF

The pop up canopies are easy and cheap. They will also fly. Make sure you tie it down. Damage your plane sucks, damage someone else’s plane really sucks.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Yeah, it's sketchy whether the airport manager will allow this. I don't like the typical Easy-up canopies, but following up the suggestions, I found some items on Amazon that use fiberglass poles to form arches/domes that look likely.

kent Ashton

Airport rules are all over the place. At some airports, you could pull up in your pickup and change an engine. At others you will be arrested. It just depends on where you are. It might be best to trailer the airplane home and do the work. Or perhaps rent some space in someone's big hangar where you can work. I suppose you could erect a cheap patio sunshield and take it down every day but it depends on the airport. Federally-assisted airports are the worst and most of the bigger ones are F.A. . :-(

Pilot-34

Yeah, it's sketchy whether the airport manager will allow this. I don't like the typical Easy-up canopies, but following up the suggestions, I found some items on Amazon that use fiberglass poles to form arches/domes that look likely.
The awning on the vehicle thing was not my idea I met a A&P That had one on his shop truck for just exactly that reason

TFF

The problem depending on airport or parking spot is blocking taxing traffic. Sometimes you can’t have a vehicle right next to the nose. Just depends.

Pilot-34

Think once you start staking anything down or even having it come in contact with the ground you’re looking at more trouble

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
That looks pretty Skookum. I can imagine such a thing attached to the Airport Car.

I have no truck, no garage, and no off street parking, and the airport in question and most of the alternates are public FAA supported fields - KCCR, KOAK, KHWD, etc.

I think a call to the airport manager is in order. Just to casually ask about the vehicle rules.

I MIGHT be able temporarily share a hangar at a field further from home.

Here is an idea to attach to a truck, utility trailer, or van:

cblink.007

That looks pretty Skookum. I can imagine such a thing attached to the Airport Car.

I have no truck, no garage, and no off street parking, and the airport in question and most of the alternates are public FAA supported fields - KCCR, KOAK, KHWD, etc.

I think a call to the airport manager is in order. Just to casually ask about the vehicle rules.

I MIGHT be able temporarily share a hangar at a field further from home.
Contacting the airfield manager should have been your first move, to get an idea of what your right & left limits are. Then you can determine how to skin the proverbial cat! Oh, just an FYI, every public airport in the US is FAA supported by way of funding. I assume you are referring to those airfields mentioned having ATC towers and such! Are you far from Livermore (KLVK)?

If you have not joined EAA, do it and join the nearest chapter; you may find hangar or project workspace, and better yet, a couple helping hands on your project.

Best of luck to you!!

Pilot-34

Could you time your official purchase for right after the monthly rental cycle and get another four weeks of hanger use that way?

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Contacting the airfield manager should have been your first move, to get an idea of what your right & left limits are. Then you can determine how to skin the proverbial cat! Oh, just an FYI, every public airport in the US is FAA supported by way of funding. I assume you are referring to those airfields mentioned having ATC towers and such! Are you far from Livermore (KLVK)?

If you have not joined EAA, do it and join the nearest chapter; you may find hangar or project workspace, and better yet, a couple helping hands on your project.

Best of luck to you!!
Ha! I'm helping with this project, which is owned by EAA Chapter 393 in Concord! I rejoined after about 20 years lapse.

The chapter can't own a flying airplane, so someone has to buy it SOON as it's almost ready for first flight. Livermore and Gnoss are little too far away to get much work done on a typical weekend day, or weeknight.

Victor Bravo

I was going to suggest going to the EAA in Concord. Surely somebody had space in a hangar for a week or two.

IMHO, go to the airport manager, and tell him/her that you are buying an airplane that needs some help, and in order to fly it out of there safely you need to do a little work on it. Ask them when are the times of day or days of the week that would create the least disturbance at the airport. Explain that you will park the car behind the wing of the airplane, NOT sitting out and blocking the taxiway. Explain that you are going to put a small cover over the front of the airplane but you are going to make sure the cover doesn't stick out into the taxiway, and that you have brought a rolling tool stand or roll-away box to prevent any tools, nuts and bolts, etc. from becoming FOD. Go overboard and show them that you have thought of all the details, to a microscopic level. Your purpose with this i s to remove the safety or inconvenience barriers in their head first, and then keep going with your details until the manager says "All right, fine, I understand you are thinking about safety...stop talking already! Go get your airplane fixed and stay out of everyone's way..."

Last edited:

cblink.007

Depends on what your definition of “public airport” is. There are privately owned and operated airports that receive no government funding that are open for public use.

BJC
I am aware... I did not realize that the hometown airport where I learned to fly, Cable Airport in Upland, California, is still all privately owned and supported. I miss that place- alot of good memories!

Reactions: BJC

cblink.007

Ha! I'm helping with this project, which is owned by EAA Chapter 393 in Concord! I rejoined after about 20 years lapse.

The chapter can't own a flying airplane, so someone has to buy it SOON as it's almost ready for first flight. Livermore and Gnoss are little too far away to get much work done on a typical weekend day, or weeknight.
Awesome!!

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I was going to suggest going to the EAA in Concord. Surely somebody had space in a hangar for a week or two.

IMHO, go to the airport manager, and tell him/her that you are buying an airplane that needs some help, and in order to fly it out of there safely you need to do a little work on it. Ask them when are the times of day or days of the week that would create the least disturbance at the airport. Explain that you will park the car behind the wing of the airplane, NOT sitting out and blocking the taxiway. Explain that you are going to put a small cover over the front of the airplane but you are going to make sure the cover doesn't stick out into the taxiway, and that you have brought a rolling tool stand or roll-away box to prevent any tools, nuts and bolts, etc. from becoming FOD. Go overboard and show them that you have thought of all the details, to a microscopic level. Your purpose with this i s to remove the safety or inconvenience barriers in their head first, and then keep going with your details until the manager says "All right, fine, I understand you are thinking about safety...stop talking already! Go get your airplane fixed and stay out of everyone's way..."
I'm going out there Sunday and Tuesday to build, and the airport managers office is on the same side of the field as both the chapter clubhouse (they chased a bunch of squatters out) and a bunch of sketchy abandoned buildings and aircraft, so I think it MIGHT be possible to cut a deal.

A lot of the chapter members have hangers, generally the smaller Port A Ports, stuffed to the roof with flying airplanes, projects, workbenches, tools, and half of Aircraft Spruce's inventory, so no room in the manger.