Workbench question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Hi all.

I am in a middle of building workbench from two plywood sheets 4 x 8 foot / 1.25x2.5m. + aluminium square tubes 100x20mm for stringers. I need it in this side for foam mold positioning/ wing assembly. flat composite impregnation etc. But - i can build it as two separated, for easy hiding one then not-needed, or could build one big base and just cover it with plywood. Stringer are sold in 6m length.

Do others have good workbench examples ?

Dantilla

Been happy so far with this-

The flat work benches use a solid-core door as the top surface. Same height, so they can be set end-to-end, side-by-side, or this current L-shape.
Very flat, very solid, better than plywood. 36"x 80" has been a good size.

The plans tables with the rear cubby holes use one sheet of 3/4" birch plywood.
I ripped the plywood onto a 36" strip for the main table, and the 12" left over is the top shelf.
1/4" plywood for the back wall adds shear, and sits 1/2" above the top shelf to prevent stuff from falling off the back.

Sorry I don't have better pix.

hangar projects.jpg

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Sanded to final size all my plywood stringers. Market wrong size with flame.

For 4*8 sheet, will have 6 inch strips for each side + 3"inch, spaced each 10" inside. Have all materials for strips on site.

Attachments

proppastie

Log Member

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Done dry fit - and my garage starting to look to small..

That 2x4 idea is good. Maybe will do 2x8 instead..

Attachments

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Just some practical things. I like my bench tops slightly lower than my fixed tool tops; for example I like to be able to push wood through my table saw and have it go slightly above my workbench. I have some fixed work tops against some walls but other benches are light so to me moved around easily as needed.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Been happy so far with this-

The flat work benches use a solid-core door as the top surface. Same height, so they can be set end-to-end, side-by-side, or this current L-shape.
Very flat, very solid, better than plywood. 36"x 80" has been a good size.

The plans tables with the rear cubby holes use one sheet of 3/4" birch plywood.
I ripped the plywood onto a 36" strip for the main table, and the 12" left over is the top shelf.
1/4" plywood for the back wall adds shear, and sits 1/2" above the top shelf to prevent stuff from falling off the back.

Sorry I don't have better pix.

View attachment 102499
Tell us about the BD5 project?