• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Workbench build Log

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionraice

So, before you build your plane you need something to build it on. It needs to be really flat and pretty smooth. Since I have a small workshop and I do not intend to live in my current house forever I needed a flexible option that fits through a regular door. I also don't like unneeded complications so I choose some plans that require only a hammer, some clamps, a drill and a chop saw. So I am doing the EAA chapter 1000 bench. Below I have a picture of all the needed lumber to build 4 of these smaller benches.
Workbench lumber.jpg
If these are built properly they can be clamped together to make 1 flat 12' by 4' table which is big enough for many builds. I bought this at home depot but any lumber yard will do, as you can see I had the longest and hardest cut made at the store for 2 reasons; They have that oh so awesome tool made specifically for this cut and a 4' by 8' sheet of plywood does not fit in my car.

If you looked at the plans you are likely wondering why I didn't mention a saw to cut plywood to length. I am planing on using a flush cutting hand saw to trim the 2' off the end of the workbench once it is already assembled this way i can even make a special jig or tool holder out of that end but we will see how that turns out.

-Ham

Back