Work rules / practices

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FinnFlyer

OK, so it's not called for in the plans and is just an optional procedure. Really needed? Depends on the amount of engine vibration and interaction between cowling and engine.

Finn

rv7charlie

Guys, I'm not building an RV, and my plans / instructions do not indicate the holes you have recommended.

I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying wrt the RV, only that my installation is different.

BJC
"Failure to communicate."
;-)
Finn said that it's definitely in the RVx plans; you responded that it's not in 'the plans'. I responded with a quote from the RVx build manual. Then you clarified that it's not in *your* plans.

I don't know what you're building, but assumed that it might be a scratch-build or something with little detail in the plans, since builders of the more common kits that use hinge stock on the cowl don't have issues with distorting the cowl when installing the hinge stock, as long as it's formed correctly and held in place properly while drilling. Simply squeezing the rivets won't stretch the hinge stock enough to affect alignment.

Charlie

BJC

HBA Supporter
I don't know what you're building,
Sorry for the confusion.

There is a photo of the Glasair that I am slowly building in post #146. The Glasair uses piano hinge to attach the vertical, almost straight, portion of the lower cowl to the fuselage, and to tie the horizontal joint between the upper and lower cowl sections together. The plans call for Dzus fasteners for the bottom and top of the cowl to fuselage attachments. My question related to the top of the cowling to fuselage attachment where, contrary to the plans, I am using hinge.

Rivets squeezed and rivet heads covered with one layer of glass. It did not have any noticeable distortion.

Thanks to all who commented.

5E450F10-AF30-405E-8409-61C87E1D6176.jpeg

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
My pet peeve is a zillion zip ties. I’m a lace cord kinda guy.
A friend / former co-worker taught basic wiring techniques at SnF for many years. He could apply lace cord faster than most could apply ties, and his looked much better.

BJC

TFF

The beauty of hinge to hold the cowl on is when lining up to run the wire through, and it’s slightly miss aligned, getting the wire through your finger is easy. It lines up perfectly to skewer.