Words of wisdom

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by orion, Nov 17, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 17, 2010 #1

orion

orion

orion

WISDOM FROM TRAINING MANUALS

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

- Sign over SR71 Wing Ops-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'

-Unknown Author-
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage it has to be a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe.'

- Fixed Wing Pilot-

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'

-Multi-Engine Training Manual-

'Without ammunition, the Air Force is just an expensive flying club.'

-Unknown Author-

'If you hear me yell; "Eject, Eject, Eject!", the last two will be echoes. If you stop to ask "Why?", you'll be talking to yourself, because by then you'll be the pilot.'

-Pre-flight Briefing from a Canadian F104 Pilot-

'What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots?
    If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; but If ATC screws up, .... the pilot dies.'

-Sign over Control Tower Door-

'Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight.'

-Basic Flight Training Manual-

'Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it.'

- Emergency Checklist-

'The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.'

- Attributed to Max Stanley ( Northrop test pilot) -

'There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime.'

-Sign over Squadron Ops Desk at Davis-Montham AFB , AZ-

'You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal.'

- Lead-in Fighter Training Manual -

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives. The rescuer sees the bloodied pilot and asks, 'What happened?' The pilot's reply: 'I don't know, I just got here myself!'

2. Nov 17, 2010 #2

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

'We had less than 4 hours till sunset and 1000 km to go. That was the first time I believed we could make it.'

-Klaus Ohlmann, regarding his absolute world record of 3000 km (1863 miles) in a sailplane.

'It takes only 2 things to fly; money and speed'

-Our treasurer :gig:

'I love the smell of burnt grass on my fuselage'

-A C-172RG pilot, after forgetting the obvious...

'Pick either two, bankruptcy, divorce, owning an aircraft.'

-Unknown

3. Nov 17, 2010 #3

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

What's the difference between an aerospace engineer and a civil engineer?

An aerospace engineer builds designs airplanes, while a civil engineer designs targets.

4. Nov 17, 2010 #4

skier

skier

skier

Not from training manuals, but...

“When one stands at the main entrance of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum there are just three aircraft hanging in the central hall. They are singularly true to the basic theme of their selection. As one would expect they represent important steps in aviation development; the Wright Flyer, the first successful flight of a controllable airplane; the Spirit of St. Louis, the first nonstop flight from the United States to Europe; and the Voyager; the first nonstop flight around the world. However a more important theme is that they all represent extraordinary efforts by small groups of people dedicated to the accomplishment of a seemingly impossible task. In addition all these aircraft were privately funded. Controlled by the same people who did the work, and unencumbered by bureaucratic and corporate "help", these programs were efficient and successful (this used to be the "American way", Voyager proved that it still just might be).”

--Chuck Berthe (AF), Calspan Corporation and Dick VanGrunsven (M), Vans Aircraft

“Perfection is achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”

– Antoine de Saint-Exupery

" I'll run my hand gently over the wing of a small airplane and say to him, 'This plane can teach you more things and give you more gifts than I ever could. It won't get you a better job, a faster car, or a bigger house. But if you treat it with respect and keep your eyes open, it may remind you of some things you used to know – that life is in the moment, joy matters more than money, the world is a beautiful place, and that dreams really, truly are possible.' And then, because airplanes speak in a language beyond words, I'll take him up in the evening summer sky and let the airplane show him what I mean."

- Lane Wallace, 'Eyes of a Child,' Flying magazine, February 2000.

5. Nov 17, 2010 #5

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

And SpaceShipOne hangs with them now. Another example of the same principle.

6. Nov 22, 2010 #6

jjbaker

jjbaker

jjbaker

Steve Wilson, NTSB investigator, Oshkosh, WI , August, 1996:​
    What is the cause of most aviation accidents:
    Usually it is because someone does too much too soon, followed very quickly by too little too late.​
    Unknown:​
    “Students practice until they get it right. Experienced pilots practice until they get it wrong…”​
    One of my favorites:​
    “One of these days, you could walk out on the ramp, see the aircraft you are about to fly and realize that today is your last flight…” and you will be sad!​
    “One of these days, you could walk out on the ramp, see the aircraft you are about to fly and DON’T realize that today is your last flight…” and that will be really sad!​
    Unknown Writer:​
    “In general, the design of the nut that connects the yoke and the seat has proven to be the critical factor in flight safety. “​

7. Nov 22, 2010 #7

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

LOLOLOL!!!! :gig: