Quantcast

Word Economy Explained in terms of two cows

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

E

Empirical

I didn't mean to disrespect HBA's policy, I just think that politics are no more a luxury or 'conspiracy' talk -if it ever was. I understand though, the difficulties to maintain some balance in a general thread that would allow political discussions (because of the public ignorance), although lately, millions of people in most countries have started to feel more united by their common problems than separated by their ideologies. Besides, most members here are not only technically inclined, but also devoted to their long-term goals and are therefore mature enough, so I wouldn't expect any dog-fights between HBA members with slightly different ideologies, and definitely not any sabotaging of left or right wings either! :gig:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan Olieslagers

Well said, autoreply, full support.

That said, the opening post brought me the smile of recognition that most stereotype confirmations bring. Taken for what they're worth, nothing wrong with them.

Jan Olieslagers

Dutchmen do not like spending money.
(( if I may go off-topic, at a moment of stress - otherwise, please do feel free to remove! ))

That's an oversimplification, in my experience. The Dutch, like the Scots, suffer from a calvinistic past - where they were supposed to work hard (thus earning money unavoidably) and to live frugally (thus not spending any money) - which brought them a reputation of sitting on their wallet. Yet it has been my repeated experience that such people will part with their money eventually - the trick is to convince them they are making a good deal.

FritzW

Log Member
... nothing good will come of this thread on an international homebuilt airplane forum. Aren't there political humor forums?

Head in the clouds

... nothing good will come of this thread on an international homebuilt airplane forum. Aren't there political humor forums?
There probably are Fritz but I posted this thread in the Hangar Flying forum because I wanted to share it with like minded flying types. It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously, ya'know? And as far as I know no-one is forcing you to click on it ... and it would seem that there are plenty of others who have enjoyed a chuckle with me about it. I know we don't all have the same sense of humour, and can't help that I'm afraid.

I may well be wrong but as far as I've always understood it the Hangar Flying forum is for posting the type of things which generally get chatted about in the hangar, and that isn't always to do with flying, in my experience.

I took my brief about the suitability of posting here from the title of the Hangar Flying forum -

Hangar Flying
(10 Viewing)
This area is for people to get together and shoot the breeze, tell stories, share experiences, and generally hang out with other aviation nuts.

Your turn to tell us a story Fritz ... Cheers, Alan

Apollo

A more accurate version of the Greek one (albeit not funny):
You missed the point. None of the comments were "accurate" descriptions; they were funny exaggerations based on stereotypes about each country. If you set aside local pride because your own country was made fun of, you can enjoy the lambasting of all those other countries :grin:

If one person jumps in to correct the "inaccuracies", everyone else will want to correct the record about their country too. That's when the serious political crap starts. Relax - it's just a joke! Have fun with it like some others have.

Jan Olieslagers

Can't help thinking about an entry for Belgium:

One cow must be speaking Dutch, the other French. Need to add a goat for Brussels area, and perhaps a rabbit for the German speakers*. Brussels needs to have a minister of agricultural affairs now, though it has no agriculture**. Brussels need to rent pasture for their goat, Flanders is nearer but Wallonia is cheaper so they rent in Wallonia. Flanders promptly creates a new tax for transfer of cattle over its territory.

*yes, there is a German speaking minority in Belgium, their territory was added to Belgium in the aftermath of WW1
** I have a vague memory that Brussels does already have a ministry of agriculture, though I can't imagine any pastures or arable fields there...

autoreply

When people take it seriously, you're right and HBA is not the place for it.

On the other hand, a bit of humour in an international community doesn't hurt and can actually breed some mutual understanding.

//////////////////////

True story, last time I went out in Antwerp I almost got beaten by some dock-workers. Why? In a talk about the EU etc I referred to the Flemish people as "basically civilized Dutch". Boy did they take that badly...

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
You missed the point. None of the comments were "accurate" descriptions; they were funny exaggerations based on stereotypes about each country. If you set aside local pride because your own country was made fun of, you can enjoy the lambasting of all those other countries :grin:

If one person jumps in to correct the "inaccuracies", everyone else will want to correct the record about their country too. That's when the serious political crap starts. Relax - it's just a joke! Have fun with it like some others have.
So long as everyone takes it in the spirit of good humor and deliberately funny over-exaggeration, yeah, the occasional post like this is fine. Jake would like even Hangar Flying to be kept at least nominally aviation-related, but hey, we're all friends here. A little unrelated humor now and again? Not a problem.

I thought this was pretty funny, myself.