• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden Ultralight covering with Ceconite light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULF

Hi guys, I am bulding an ULF-1. Its a glider, completly wood construction, very light around 120lbs empty weight.
Since the one I am building was started acordingt the older plans, it uses a rather thin torsion D box, with only 1 mm plywood sheeting for the first one and a halfe yard and the rest of the remaining 4 yards both sides with 1/32 plywood sheeting. Every other rib in between is made out of styrofoam, they are just there to help to keep the ply wood sheetings shape.
According to plans, the Ceconite light (1.8oz) should just overlap about 2 inches and not go all around the nose. The uncovered part of the D box should be just painted, to be protected some how.
Since I`m not a heay weight person my selve, I could take a little weight penalty by covering the entire D box with a thin fibreglas cloth, maybe even at 45° to strenghthen it, intead of just painting it.
My concerns are the gluing of the fabric to the fiberglas- epoxyed D box.
I am thinking to follow Ceconites application instructions, by using epoxy varnish over the fiberglass parts, and use New super Seam to cement the Ceconite on.
And then follow with one coat nitrated dope and a few byturate coats.

Would this be the way to go, or has anybody second thoughts as to the save adherance of the fabric to the airframe.

Would there be a cheaper substitute for the New Super Seam, a vinyl-based cement ?

truely ,
Johannes
:)

Back