• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden structure covered with Super Flite SF104 and AEROLON Dope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULF

Hi,
I have built many model planes, and have used dope before, I`ve also used Ceconite poly fibers 104 with different dopes, and the fabric would slowly get more and more transparent, the more coats I applied.
This time, the raw fabric, SF104 was little transparent, when I put it on, rubbing the nitrate dope through it with thinner on the surfaces glued to, so it would stick good to the wooden frame.
When I had brushed the very first overall coat on with 50% thinned nitrate dope ( make AEROLON Klebelack) the kind of dope I used for glueing, the fabric was transparent to the point, that I could see the shadow of my hand under the wing looking at it from the top of the wing.
After brushing on 2 more coats, starting with a 30% thinned byturate dope (make AEROLON Spannlack), and the second coat only thinned a little, the entire wing looks very nicely white, like the Ceconite ( in this case Super Flite ).
When I place my hand under the wing, I can`t see anything looking at the wing from above, but the white surface.
Has anyone experience with this?
Did I do something wrong ?
Everything is looking good, except, that I expected the wing to become transparent.
Has anyone experience with Aerolon dope ?

Appreciate any help,
Johannes

Back