Wooden prop plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

NeoFromMatrix

Hello

I'm searching after plans for wooden props for an VW 1600 direct mount or maybe and BMW boxer.

I have found some scanned plans, but without any further information (strength calculations, build manual, safety report)
I have knowledge in mechanical engineering, but absolutely no experience in this sector.
Airworthiness is a must.

I'd like to learn about this area, maybe do some 3D models and some cnc models.
Maybe even build one and test it on the ground for personal education.

Maybe someone knows about some plans I could use, would appreciate it.

Regards
Neo

TFF

Join the prop yahoo group and ask around there. How advanced of a prop do you want to make? All the how to books and plans for props are very traditional designs. Stuff like Cato or MT like props are not in the books.

Turd Ferguson

Supporting Member
I suggest locating a copy of Eric Clutton's timeless book "Propeller Making for the Amateur." If you search somewhere like Amazon you can find a used copy for as little as $8.

There is more than enough information to guide one through the steps of building a blank and carving a propeller, specifically for a direct drive VW engine. Also, if you are a EAA member, there's a couple of Sport Aviation back issues that have articles on prop building.

pistoncan

There is another good book out there called "How I make wood propellers" By E. Alvin Schubert. No cad, no computers, just hand tools and a protractor.

Last edited:

Hugh Lorimer

Here are a couple of photos of my home made prop for a BMW R100RS See also photobucket handr2 Iolaire Hughie or maybe and BMW boxer.

I have found some scanned plans, but without any further information (strength calculations, build manual, safety report)
I have knowledge in mechanical engineering, but absolutely no experience in this sector.
Airworthiness is a must.

I'd like to learn about this area, maybe do some 3D models and some cnc models.
Maybe even build one and test it on the ground for personal education.

Maybe someone knows about some plans I could use, would appreciate it.

Regards
Neo[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• No,13 ballanced end of carving.jpg
    No,13 ballanced end of carving.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 113
  • No.9 checking pitch.jpg
    No.9 checking pitch.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 772
  • No.15 carbon coated.jpg
    No.15 carbon coated.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 145
  • No.17 ready for fitting to B.M.W.jpg
    No.17 ready for fitting to B.M.W.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 195

NeoFromMatrix

Thank you very much everybody!

The multiple times mentioned book looks interesting.

Btw. Could I get out of service or broken props at flight schools or flight club?

willardie

A few years ago I purchased the writings, as well as the instructions and forms for the making of every type of prop, from the estate of Alvin Shubert. I had made some crude props and planned to build custom props as a retirement business, but I had a serious accident and most of my plans were put on hold. I'm not planning on getting involved in building anymore and all of my projects, including propeller making tools, are going to be put up for sale. If you are interested, contact me and we can talk about any interest you might have in them. I'm not sure how this site works, but you can email me at: [email protected].